28 Assisted Living Facilities near Homer, NY
Also serving communities of Groton.
There are 28 Assisted Living Facilities in the Homer area, with 2 in Homer and 26 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 125 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Homer. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Homer 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cortland with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Homer, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Homer, NY
26 Assisted Living Facilities near Homer, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Homer
Homer is a city rich in history and local landmarks, including the original railroad station and watchtower as well as Sig Sautelle's Circus House. Today, the town is home to more than 6,000 people, almost 18 percent of which fall into the aged 65 years or older category. To help provide housing for this demographic, Homer has two assisted living facilities.
The New York Department of Health is tasked with licensing and regulating all of the assisted living facilities in the state, which include the categories of assisted living residences, enriched housing programs and adult homes.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Homer
- The Homer area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Guthrie Cortland Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors looking at assisted living facilities in New York will want to consider the tax implications. Retirement income from Social Security is exempt, and the state offers a sizable tax deduction for other forms of retirement income.
- The cost of living in Homer is very affordable, which is a good thing for seniors trying to make the most of their money. The overall cost of living in Homer is around 11 percent lower than the national average but 25 percent lower when compared to the New York mean.
- Both the violent crime and property crime rates in Homer are approximately 32 percent lower than the state averages. This can be reassuring to those looking for assisted living facilities that both they and their belongings will be safe.
- Homer gets an average of 90 inches of snow and 42 inches of rain per year, which is much higher than the U.S. averages of 28 and 38 inches, respectively. This area also gets only 157 sunny days, compared to the U.S. average of 205, which could be an issue for seniors hoping to enjoy the sunny outdoors.
- Homer is serviced by the Cortland Transit system which provides half-fare discounts to seniors for their fixed routes. Dial-a-ride services are also available for an additional fee.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Homer
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Homer start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Homer and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Homer
Those looking at assisted living facilities in Homer may be able to get help paying for some of the costs via either the New York Assisted Living Program or the Medicaid Managed Long-Term Care program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Homer
Homer and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Homer, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Homer
Homer-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Homer, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Homer
Review of Elizabeth Brewster House
This is listed as an Assisted living center. It is an Adult home for independent living. The aides are PCA's not ceritifed CNA' or HHA's. They do assist with shower and dressing when needed, Th... Read more