71 Assisted Living Facilities near East Elmhurst, NY
Also serving communities of Elmhurst.
There are 71 Assisted Living Facilities in the East Elmhurst area, with 1 in East Elmhurst and 70 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 472 reviews below for assisted living facilities in East Elmhurst. On average, consumers rate assisted living in East Elmhurst 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Flushing with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in East Elmhurst, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in East Elmhurst, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in East Elmhurst
East Elmhurst is said to be the most stable neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens; its residents tend to remain living in their homes longer than any other part of NYC. However, when the time comes, seniors who are in need of help with daily tasks but who wish to continue living in their beloved neighborhood may look for assisted living in the area. There is one assisted living facility in East Elmhurst and an additional 59 in other nearby neighborhoods including Flushing, Jamaica and Queens Village.
New York has three types of Adult Care Facilities (ACFs) regulated by the New York State Department of Health. Facilities may become Assisted Living Residences (ALRs) with additional licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in East Elmhurst
- New York City, including East Elmhurst, has an array of community resources for seniors, including the New York Foundation for Senior Citizens, an organization that provides a range of innovative social services to seniors in all five boroughs as well as more than two senior centers.
- East Elmhurst offers many opportunities for seniors to enjoy the arts and cultural activities. The Langston Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center has an art gallery and hosts regular performances. Residents can enjoy Queens and other New York City boroughs by taking in visits to the Queens Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan, among a myriad of other cultural events and attractions.
- The East Elmhurst area is home to world-class medical facilities, including NYC Health + Hospitals, Elmhurst, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Sales tax in New York is quite high, which can impact the budget of seniors on a fixed income. However, Social Security income is exempt from income tax, and although money from pensions and retirement funds is taxable, this income is deductible up to $20,000.
- New York City, including East Elmhurst, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Queens County, including East Elmhurst, received an A grade for particle pollution in the State of the Air Report 2018. However, the county failed in the ozone pollution category, meaning that air quality conditions exist that may impact the health of seniors with respiratory conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in East Elmhurst
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in East Elmhurst start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in East Elmhurst and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in East Elmhurst
Seniors in East Elmhurst that receive Social Security income may be eligible for additional funding through New York's Optional State Supplement (OSS). Residents of assisted living facilities can apply for the Assisted Living Program (ALP), although the assistance available is limited.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in East Elmhurst
East Elmhurst and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in East Elmhurst, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in East Elmhurst
East Elmhurst-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in East Elmhurst
Review of Elm-York Home
My sister has been Elm York for many years. Her aides are compassionate and helpful and show real concern for the residents. The staff is professional and competent and I feel my sister is in good ... Read more
Review of Elm-York Home
My sister moved into Elm-York Home. We're really satisfied with it. The environment is clean. My sister is cared for and she has settled in. We think it is a good choice for her. The staff is warm,... Read more
Review of Elm-York Home
Elm-York is right near the airport. The room was very clean and very nice. The girl that showed us around was very nice and very supportive. I was assisted by one of the home elder care ladies. We ... Read more