22 Assisted Living Facilities near Passaic, NJ
Also serving communities of Clifton.
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the Passaic area, with 2 in Passaic and 20 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 153 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Passaic. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Passaic 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bloomfield with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Passaic, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Passaic, NJ
20 Assisted Living Facilities near Passaic, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Passaic
The city of Passaic in northeastern New Jersey was once a leading wool producer, and today, it continues to be a source of a variety of products, including rubber goods and textile machinery. Located just a few miles from Newark and other major urban areas, the industrial city of Passaic offers an easily accessible residential location for seniors. Numbering around 5,913 or just 8.3 percent of the city’s population, Passaic seniors can conveniently get help with activities of daily living from among 21 assisted living facilities within the area — two within the city and 19 more nearby.
The New Jersey Department of Health licenses these facilities which are officially known in Passaic and throughout the state as Assisted Living Residences.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Passaic
- The Passaic area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the St. Mary's General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Passaic has an array of community resources for seniors, including Senior Center Programs, which are administered through the Senior Affairs Division of the city’s Human Services office. Various activities and services are offered to seniors, including transportation services, arts and crafts, and trips and recreation.
- The NJ Transit operates a number of bus routes covering areas within the city of Passaic. Senior citizens 62 and older are entitled to fare discounts. Personal assistants accompanying seniors can ride for free. The buses have accessibility features such as lifts and ramps that make boarding safe and convenient for seniors.
- With New Jersey’s moderately friendly income tax policy, seniors in Passaic get to allocate 100 percent of their tax-free Social Security income for regular expenses. However, pension income and retirement account withdrawals are partially taxed.
- Compared to the New York-Newark-Jersey City metro area as a whole, Passaic gets a less favorable rating in terms of safety. The city’s property crime rate of 25.4 and violent crime rate of 25.2 surpasses the metro area's 22.2 and 20, respectively.
- The overall cost of living index for Passaic is listed at 136, slightly higher than the state’s 133 but several notches above the national index of 100. All categories are above 100, with grocery, healthcare, transportation and utilities going above the state figures. This means that seniors may have to allocate more funds for most of their regular expenses.
Paying for Assisted Living in Passaic
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Passaic start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Passaic and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Passaic
Eligible Passaic seniors can avail of home and community-based services through the Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports program, which is part of the state’s NJ FamilyCare Comprehensive Demonstration Waiver. Services are coordinated through managed care organizations and are administered by the New Jersey Department of Human Services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Passaic
Passaic and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Passaic, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Passaic Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Passaic
Passaic-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Passaic
Review of Chestnut Hill
I did see Chestnut Hill Residences for my aunt. It was our first choice because it is in the next town over so that we don't have to travel. The administrator is very nice. There is a nursing home ... Read more