14 Assisted Living Facilities near Rochester, NH
Also serving communities of Barrington.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Rochester area, with 2 in Rochester and 12 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 60 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Rochester. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Rochester 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Portsmouth with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rochester, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Rochester, NH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rochester
Spread over 44 square miles of rolling hills, rivers and ponds, Rochester, a.k.a. the “Lilac City,” gives seniors a variety of natural resources to explore. These include New Hampshire's Lakes Region, the White Mountains and the beautiful beaches. Rochester is home to many seniors, with adults aged 65 and older accounting for nearly 17.3% of the city’s population of about 31,400.
To support elderly residents who need help with some of the activities of daily living while maintaining an independent lifestyle, Rochester offers two assisted living communities. Seniors can choose from another 11 in surrounding areas. The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services Health Facilities Administration is responsible for the oversight of assisted living residences (ALRs) in Rochester and the rest of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rochester
- Rochester seniors enjoy a full calendar of cultural and civic activities. The restored historic Rochester Opera House offers an exciting live performance season, and the annual Lilac Family Fun Festival brings 10 days of celebration for all ages in the spring.
- Kiplinger awarded New Hampshire the No. 9 slot on its best places to retire list for 2018. This is largely due to the tax-friendly lifestyle seniors enjoy in cities, such as Rochester, where the state does not tax Social Security benefits or other retirement income.
- Rochester scores a property crime rate of 53.6 that’s significantly higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors should ensure that any assisted living community under consideration is equipped with advanced security systems. Rochester’s violent crime rate of 18.2 out of 100 is a bit lower than the U.S. average of 22.7.
- The Rochester area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Frisbie Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Rochester averages 49 inches of rain and 51 inches of snow, which may be challenging for active seniors. January’s winter low averages 14 degrees, and summer’s high in July averages 82 degrees.
- Rochester's overall cost of living mirrors the national average, but seniors may pay more for utilities and groceries. However, savings on healthcare and transportation costs along with the desirable tax situation can make up the difference.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rochester
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Hampshire
Assisted Living costs in Rochester start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rochester and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rochester
Medicaid-eligible seniors in Rochester can receive aid to help cover assisted living costs through New Hampshire’s Choices For Independence Medicaid program. Administered by the Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services, the program helps seniors continue to live independently by providing a variety of service choices.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rochester
Rochester and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rochester, please visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rochester
Rochester-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Hampshire are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Rochester, NH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Rochester
Review of Studley Home
I cannot say enough about the truly loving care EVERY staff member has for the residents. My father and mother moved in and, of course, if was difficult on them (and me) because I had been their c... Read more
Review of Studley Home
We have selected Studley Home for my dad. It is small, it is close to where he was living, and it is clean. It is an older building with an addition on it, but it seems very homey. I have eaten wit... Read more
Review of Studley Home
Beautiful Facility, fantastic and trusted staff. I highly recommend the facility. Read more