Brookdale Spruce Wood

Reviews of Brookdale Spruce Wood

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Spruce Wood

December 12, 2014

By Karen99862350

The staff at Emeritus was great, the rooms were very nice, and the restaurant was really nice. It looked like the dining room was beautiful, very well done, and spacious. They would take them to places. It was beautiful, I am impressed, and the price was reasonable.

June 25, 2014

We visited Emeritus at Spruce Wood, and it was all right. But they didn't take pets, so we didn't look at it carefully and I was not interested.

May 29, 2014

By WinHow

I was able to visit Emeritus at Spruce Wood, and the experience was good. I like the facility, but it's just too far away from home. I was impressed that it is homey and it has a nice ambiance. It has a very warm atmosphere. The rooms were fine, and the décor was fine.

November 30, 2013

By Carol74882050

Emeritus was excellent. It was very clean. The facility and the set up were great. I loved the environment, the location, everything about it. I thought the whole accommodation and not just the rooms were very spacious. The lobby and the dining room were great. The little kitchen area that they had where they could sit down and have coffee was super for socialization, which would be very important for somebody her age. I thought mom would be happy there.

September 10, 2012

By DanOKeefe

My experience with this assisted living facility was tremendous. The staff members that we apart of the facility were extremely nice and caring, and to top it all off they were loving. Every time I would spark conversations with the staff members I felt like I was talking to one of my own family members. Another amazing part of the building were all the facilities in it. I was shocked to see how clean everything was; especially the bathrooms. Also the kitchen and the food they served was awesome. I enjoyed practically every minute I was in the building and it is the prefect place for my grandmother to stay. Another quality part of the facility was the rooms. The rooms were amazing and very comfortable. I could not imagine living anywhere else if I were growing old and fragile. The bathrooms, as I said, were amazing and clean, and the living rooms were decently big too. The best part about it though were the bedrooms. The beds were quite large and extremely comfortable and they also had large televisions in them as well. Overall, my experience at Emeritus at Spruce Wood was incredible and I am overwhelmingly glad that my grandmother was blessed to live there.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Spruce Wood

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Spruce Wood

Questions about Brookdale Spruce Wood

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

8 hour initial UDAC initial training, ongoing LMS and on the job training

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Spruce Wood. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

84, BINGO, cocktail hour, trips and card games

What programs or activities does Brookdale Spruce Wood offer to enrich residents' well-being?

B fit, outings, UNH guest speakers and attends events at UNH

What places are near Brookdale Spruce Wood or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

200 acres of walking trails, quiet neighborhood, nature

What transportation services does Brookdale Spruce Wood offer to assisted living residents?

Bus, wheelchair accessible-Ford Flex, medical transport/outings

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Spruce Wood exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Homemade meals/soups, local produce, fresh fruit and 6 options

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Spruce Wood offer to assisted living residents?

24/7 nursing care, over night

How does Brookdale Spruce Wood keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Email communications and phone calls updating families

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Spruce Wood during daytime and nighttime hours?

LNA's MNA's RN or LPNs on every shift

If Brookdale Spruce Wood accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

yes outdoor up to 30Ilbs

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

LMS on the job the training

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale Spruce Wood. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

82, outings concerts, plays, shopping and card games

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Downtown Durham, and UNH, local business etc. New library

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale Spruce Wood has organized?

UNH symphony, movies, lunch trips

What transportation services does Brookdale Spruce Wood offer to independent living residents?

Bus, wheelchair accessible-Ford Flex, medical transport/outings

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Spruce Wood exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Homemade meals/soups, local produce, fresh fruit and 6 options

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

country kitchen with complimentary breakfast/coffee

yes outdoor up to 30Ilbs

Does Brookdale Spruce Wood work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Resident choice for agency.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

LNA's MNA's RN or LPNs on every shift

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Spruce Wood provide to protect residents who wander?

Secured coded Memory Care

What programs or activities does Brookdale Spruce Wood offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

cluster groups and solace program

What techniques does Brookdale Spruce Wood use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Help fed if needed (hand over hand) and Refresh program

How does Brookdale Spruce Wood keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

family meetings, phone calls and emails

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Spruce Wood. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Rural but only 2 miles from downtown Durham, and UNH Nature/animals

Is Brookdale Spruce Wood affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

12 miles from 3 medical communities. Exeter, Portsmouth, Wentworth, Dover

Types of care

• Walking Wheelchair Assistance

About Brookdale Spruce Wood

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Spruce Wood