24 Assisted Living Facilities in Saint Louis City, MO
The average cost of assisted living in Saint Louis City is $3,250 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Saint Clair County with an average starting cost of $3,146.
To help you with your search, browse the 30 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Saint Louis City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Saint Louis City 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Saint Louis County with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Saint Louis City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Saint Louis City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Saint Louis
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Saint Louis City, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Saint Louis City
St. Louis is most widely recognized for its rich multicultural heritage and vibrant arts and culture scene. This sprawling city is home to over 300,000 residents, about 12 percent of whom are aged 65 and over.
Local seniors have nearly 70 assisted living facilities to choose from, including nine in the city proper. Assisted living facilities in Saint Louis and all of Missouri are also called residential care facilities, and are licensed through the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Saint Louis City
- According to the American Lung Association, St. Louis County, where the city of St. Louis is located, has very high ozone pollution levels and moderate short-term particle pollution levels, receiving the respective grades of F and C. This may be a consideration for seniors who have respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses.
- In Missouri, all retirement income is taxable, including income received from Social Security. However, seniors can claim deductions on their Social Security benefits and public pensions, which may help them afford assisted living expenses in St. Louis.
- The St. Louis area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Kindred Hospital and SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- St. Louis is an affordable place to live, with an overall cost of living that is about four percent lower than the state average and a little over 10 percent lower than the national average. Seniors can expect to spend an average of 5 percent less on groceries, healthcare expenses and utilities and about 35 percent less on housing prices than they would elsewhere in the nation.
St. Louis's crime rate is among the highest in the nation, with a crime index of 1 out of 100. This indicates that it is more dangerous than 99 percent of U.S. cities of all sizes. Seniors who are transitioning to assisted living here may want to ensure that the community they choose has safety features like alarm systems and high-security locks.
- Like most Midwestern cities, St. Louis is prone to extreme temperatures. Winters are very cold with lows around 23 degrees, and summers are hot with highs near 90. The city receives just 15 inches of annual snowfall, versus the national average of 26 inches, which may appeal to seniors with mobility challenges.
Paying for Assisted Living in Saint Louis City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Saint Louis City start around $3,250 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Saint Louis City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint Louis City
While there are no Medicaid waiver programs available for assisted living in Missouri, low-income seniors who need nursing home level care in an assisted living facility may be able to have these services covered under the Medicaid State Plan Personal Care authority.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Saint Louis City
Saint Louis City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Saint Louis City, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint Louis City
Saint Louis City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Saint Louis City, MO
Assisted Living near Saint Louis City, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Saint Louis City
Review of St Louis Altenheim
I'm going to move to St. Louis Altenheim. I'm actually looking forward to it. They're very helpful, warm, and friendly. They look out after a person's best interest. It's a unique place. It was a... Read more
Review of DuBourg House
The staff at Dubourg House is awesome. They're very pleasant and helpful. My client's room is very nice and has air conditioning. She pretty much has everything she needs there. They have optional ... Read more
Review of Charter Senior Living of St. Louis Hills
It was clean, organized, and nice. I saw a studio and a 1 bedroom apartment, and they were very nice. They had a patio area, nice cozy areas, and a gardening area. The dining area was more family-l... Read more