12 Assisted Living Facilities near Herculaneum, MO
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Herculaneum area, with 2 in Herculaneum and 10 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Herculaneum. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Herculaneum 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Arnold with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Herculaneum, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Herculaneum, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Herculaneum
The city of Herculaneum has a rich history that stretches back to 1798. It's believed that the city acquired its unusual name due to the limestone strata, which were so eroded that they resembled the seats in the Roman amphitheater that was buried by Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Today, this small city has about 3,500 residents and a senior community that makes up about 15% of the population.
While Herculaneum is quite small, it has two assisted living facilities, and there are eight more nearby. These facilities are officially called assisted living residences or personal care homes in Herculaneum and in all of Missouri, and they are governed by the Department of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Herculaneum
- While the cost of living in Herculaneum is about 5% higher than the statewide average, it is a little below the U.S. average. Transportation expenses, including gas prices, auto insurance and public transportation, are high, but this may be offset by the region's relatively affordable housing and healthcare, making it an attractive option for seniors seeking out an affordable city for assisted living.
- All types of retirement income are taxable in Missouri, but seniors may claim deductions for Social Security income and government pension income. This may leave more money for assisted living in Herculaneum.
- Over the course of a year, temperatures in Herculaneum range between 22 and 88 degrees, making it one of the cooler places in Missouri. Even so, the city's extreme temperatures may be a consideration for seniors who prefer a milder climate.
- The Herculaneum area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Festus.
- The overall crime rate in Herculaneum is relatively low, which may provide peace of mind for seniors who are seeking out assisted living services in the area. On a 100-point crime index, the city's violent crime ranks about 11 points lower than the national average at 11.3, and the property crime rate is about 10 points lower than the national average at 25.6.
- The American Lung Association reports moderate ozone pollution levels in the Herculaneum area. Because ozone pollution can negatively impact the health of seniors, especially those with conditions like COPD and heart disease, seniors may want to venture indoors on high ozone days.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Herculaneum
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Herculaneum start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Herculaneum and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Herculaneum
Herculaneum seniors who qualify for the state's Medicaid program may have assisted living services covered by the Personal Care program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Herculaneum
Herculaneum and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Herculaneum, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Herculaneum
Herculaneum-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Herculaneum
Review of Scenic Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, LLC
They have very friendly staff. My mom has been a resident here for a few years now and I would not pick another place. Room is always clean and management team is very responsive. Read more
Review of Scenic Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, LLC
Scenic is an old place. The nurses, aides, and administrators impressed me there. They’re very nice, friendly, and they take good care of my husband. The room is very nice and always very clean. Th... Read more