5 Assisted Living Facilities near Waterloo, IL
Also serving communities of Red Bud, Ruma, Chester.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Waterloo area, with 3 in Waterloo and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Waterloo is $3,247 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Waterloo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Waterloo 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Waterloo, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Waterloo, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Waterloo
The small city of Waterloo, Illinois, is a quiet community with a strong German heritage and an old-fashioned look due to the many historic buildings. Nearly 18 percent of the 10,355 residents are age 65 or older, leading to a strong senior community. Three assisted living facilities are located in Waterloo, and two more are in nearby communities.
The assisted living facilities in Waterloo are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health. They must abide by the Illinois Administrative Code requirements for long-term care facilities, which includes security measures, staffing requirements, minimum services and other safety issues.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Waterloo
- The average cost of living in Waterloo is slightly higher than the U.S. average, which may be difficult for seniors on a budget. Groceries are ranked at 102 compared to the national average of 100, and health spending is also slightly high at 104.
- Illinois is a tax-friendly state for seniors, which may help make up for the elevated cost of living. Retirement income is generally exempt, so residents do not pay taxes on Social Security, retirement account withdrawals or pensions.
- Waterloo has a fairly moderate, wet climate. It receives 43 inches of rain a year, which is higher than the national average of 39, but only 12 inches of snow around, which may make it easy for seniors to stay active all year. Average summer highs are in the upper 80s, while winter lows are in the low 20s.
- Waterloo has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Red Bud, Illinois.
- The crime rate in Waterloo is 16 percent lower than the national average. In 2018, it was ranked the 28th safest city in America by the National Council for Home Safety and Security. Residents have a one in 44 chance of becoming a victim of crime, and property crime is the most common type. Seniors can generally feel safe traveling through the community.
- Despite its relatively small size, Waterloo has a thriving arts and culture scene. Seniors can take part in the annual festivals, including two summer concert series, the Porta Wesfalica Festival and several holiday celebrations. Theater lovers can enjoy shows put on by the Monroe Actors Stage Company.
Paying for Assisted Living in Waterloo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Waterloo start around $3,247 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Waterloo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Waterloo
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Waterloo
Waterloo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Waterloo, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Waterloo
Waterloo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Waterloo
Review of Cedarhurst of Waterloo
We visited and were interested in the Cedarhurst of Waterloo for my mother-in-law, it's just that we found another place that's close to where her house is. We liked it because of the area, they h... Read more
Review of Cedarhurst of Waterloo
We chose Cedarhurst of Waterloo because it's close to my house, and we wanted my loved one to move to Waterloo. We checked the other ones out and this is the one she liked best. Her level of care i... Read more
Review of Garden Place Waterloo
My mother has been at Garden Place for over two years now. They do independent living and assisted living, but they don't provide higher level of memory care. Nevertheless, we have been very happy ... Read more