Assisted Living Facilities in Carrollton, MO
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Carrollton, call (855) 948-3865.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Carrollton, Missouri
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Caring's Family Advisors are here to help you with questions about senior living and care options.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carrollton
Located in the north-central part of Missouri, Carrollton is a small city comprised of 3,729 people of whom 22.1% are over the age 65. To help care for this large portion of its population, the former All-American City Award winner has two assisted living facilities (ALF). Like all ALFs in Missouri, they are licensed by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services where ALFs are divided into two subcategories, Assisted Living Facilities and Residential Care Facilities (RCF). The main difference between the two is that residents in ALFs may require a greater amount of care and attention if an evacuation became necessary than those in an RCF.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carrollton
- With winter temperatures dipping into the teens and an average yearly snowfall of 14 inches, winters in Carrollton may not suit everyone's taste. However, summer highs that rarely exceed the mid-80s make Carrollton's climate very pleasant for seniors who enjoy being outside.
- According to the National Air Toxics Index, Carrollton has an air quality rating 14 points above the national average. For seniors with respiratory and/or pulmonary problems, this could make the city a very attractive location.
- With a violent crime rate 8 points below the national median and a property crime rate 5% below the U.S. average, Carrollton is a far safer city than most in the country and the state. For security-minded seniors, this makes it a very appealing place to live.
- The cost of living in Carrollton is 24 percent below the national average and 16 points below the average for the state. However, seniors should be aware that while it is a cheaper place to live overall, medical care in the area is 10 to 11% higher than the state and national norms respectively.
- The Carrollton City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carroll County Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Bankrate ranks Missouri as the 18th friendliest tax state for seniors. The state has a maximum income tax rate of 6% and seniors can claim a $750 tax credit for rent payments made in most ALFs. This coupled with a sales tax exemption on prescription drugs and many other necessary items makes Carrollton a senior-friendly location.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carrollton
Assisted Living costs in Carrollton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carrollton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Cities in Missouri
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carrollton
Seniors who need assistance to pay for ALFs in Carrollton could qualify for two options. The first is SSI-G, which pays seniors an allotment on top of their normal Social Security benefits, and the other is the Supplemental Nursing Care (SNC) Program. Both technically pay benefits directly to seniors, but they are offset by payments made to the ALF to cover needed services even if the costs exceed the benefit amount.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carrollton
Carrollton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carrollton, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carrollton
Carrollton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.