2 Assisted Living Facilities in Vicksburg, MS
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Vicksburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Vicksburg 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Vicksburg, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Vicksburg
Steeped in Civil War history, the Vicksburg of today is a progressive city in Western Mississippi. The city, with a population of about 22,100, rests atop a high bluff on the east bank of the Mississippi River. Seniors interested in history find much to discover in Vicksburg National Military Park, where over 1,300 monuments, tablets and markers are on display.
Adults aged 65 and over make up approximately 14% of Vicksburg’s population. The city offers two assisted living facilities, or personal care homes, to provide support to seniors when needed. All personal care homes in Vicksburg and throughout Mississippi are licensed and regulated by the state’s Division of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Vicksburg
- Vicksburg is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- While the sun shines 212 days a year on average, Vicksburg receives about 57 inches of annual rainfall. The city is also one of the hottest places in the state, with approximately 70 days annually on which the temperature exceeds 90 degrees. Seniors seeking a temperate year-round climate may be disappointed.
- Vicksburg offers an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Center, which provides a variety of activities that include computer use, arts and crafts classes, social and line dancing and day trips.
- High crime rates in Vicksburg may concern security-conscious seniors and their loved ones. Vicksburg’s violent crime score of 33 tops the national average of 22.7. The property crime rate of 81.7 is more than double the U.S. average of 35.4.
- The Vicksburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Merit Health River Region, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors find numerous museums in Vicksburg that trace the city's rich roots. The Jesse Brent Lower Mississippi River Museum explores the relationship between the river and local society, while Vicksburg National Military Park holds the USS Cairo, a Union gunboat that sank in 1862. Vicksburg is also home to the Southern Heritage Air Museum.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Vicksburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Vicksburg start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Vicksburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Vicksburg
To help seniors in Vicksburg cover some of the costs associated with assisted living, Mississippi provides a 1915(c) Assisted Living Waiver. This Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid waiver program pays for personal care and support services but does not cover room and board fees.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Vicksburg
Vicksburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Vicksburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Vicksburg
Vicksburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Vicksburg
Review of Heritage House
I wouldn't hesitate in going into Heritage House. I went there for a tour, and everybody was very pleasant. I met some of the people, and I also met the lady whose department we went into. They had... Read more
Review of Belmont Gardens
I have a friend who is at Belmont, and she loves it, but they do not have really extended care. It is more or less just assistance that they do. However, I like that it is clean. I know some of the... Read more
Review of Belmont Gardens
My mom has been at Belmont Gardens since January. It has been great! The director is just wonderful. She goes out of her way to make sure everything is taken care of. They are very nice to my mothe... Read more