3 Assisted Living Facilities near Windom, MN
Also serving communities of Mountain Lake, Heron Lake, Lakefield, Jackson.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Windom area, with 2 in Windom and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Windom. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Windom 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Worthington with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Windom, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Windom, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Windom
First platted in 1871 as a stop along the Sioux City and St. Paul railroad, Windom, Minnesota, is located 165 miles west of Minneapolis/St. Paul along the banks of the Des Moines River. It is a picturesque city of 4,420 people, 20.3% of whom are over the age of 65. Serving the portion of this sizable senior population who need assistance with basic daily activities Windom has 2 assisted living communities with a third located nearby. They are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Windom
- With a cost of living index rating of 78.4, Windom is a more economical local than the U.S. norm by 21.6% and the state average by 27.9 percent. This can make it a very attractive location for seniors with limited financial resources.
- In terms of both violent and property crime, Windom is safer than the average town. Its violent crime rate is 9.4 points below the national average and 2.4 below Minnesota's median. In terms of property crimes, it surpasses the national numbers by 11.4 and the state by 9.2. Seniors concerned with security may find this comforting.
- Winters in Windom could be difficult with temperatures dropping into the single digits and snow a near-constant companion but the summer climate is idyllic with highs just above 80 degrees being the norm.
- With an air quality rating of 89, Windom only missed a perfect score on the EPA's Air Toxics Assesment by 11 points. This could be an important consideration for seniors with respiratory or pulmonary issues.
- Public transportation in Windom is provided by Community Transit of United Community Action Partnership. They provide door to door and curb to curb services on a dial-a-ride system. They also provide volunteer drivers for trips outside their normal coverage area. This could very convenient for non-driving seniors.
- The Windom area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Windom Area Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Windom
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Windom start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Windom and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Windom
To assist Windome seniors in paying for assisted living community care, the Minnesota Department of Human Services offers the Housing Support Program. This Program is formerly known as the Group Residential Housing Program pays for room, board and utilities but does not cover other needs such as medical services. Benefits are paid directly to the service providers, not to the programs enrollee.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Windom
Windom and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Windom, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Windom
Windom-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Windom, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Windom
Review of Mikkelsen Manor
The place that's at the top of my list right now is Mikkelsen Manor. That is primarily because of the location and just being a few blocks from where one of my brothers lives. It just makes a lot o... Read more