71 Assisted Living Facilities near Shorewood, MN
Also serving communities of Spring Park.
There are 71 Assisted Living Facilities in the Shorewood area, with 2 in Shorewood and 69 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 210 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shorewood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shorewood 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Excelsior with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shorewood, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Shorewood, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shorewood
Shorewood, located in southeast Minnesota near the Wisconsin border, became a village in 1956 and achieved city status in 1974. Originally created by glacial melting during the Ice Age, this small city has plenty of attractions to keep residents, along with the area’s 912 seniors busy, including visiting dinner theatres and museums.
Seniors who are thinking about assisted living have two facilities in the city to choose from, with another 61 available in nearby areas. The Department of Health regulates these facilities which are known as Class A and Class F home care providers in Shorewood and throughout the entire state of Minnesota.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shorewood
- Seniors with restrictive budgets may have a hard time living in Shorewood due to Minnesota’s tax laws. The state partially taxes Social Security benefits and fully taxes both retirement savings account income and pensions.
Crime rates are low in Shorewood, which might make the area appealing for seniors who are looking for a safe city for their retirement. The city has a violent crime rate of 6.3, over three times lower than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 18.6, almost half the U.S. average of 35.4.
- The Shorewood area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Plymouth.
- The cost of living in Shorewood is 154.8, considerably higher than both the Minnesota average of 106.3 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors can expect to pay less in this city for groceries and healthcare than in other areas of Minnesota or the country. Transportation and housing costs are higher than the state and national averages at 124.9 and 266.3, which could deter seniors who no longer drive, or their family members hoping to relocate to the area.
- Seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular issues may find that their conditions do not worsen with the Shorewood air. The city has an air quality rating of 63 out of 100 (best), which is five points higher than the national average of 58.
- Winters in Shorewood are harsh with lows dropping down to four degrees and 51 inches of annual snowfall, almost double that national average of 28 inches, which might deter seniors who rely on mobility aids to get around.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shorewood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Shorewood start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shorewood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shorewood
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shorewood
Shorewood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shorewood, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shorewood
Shorewood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shorewood
Review of The Pillars of Shorewood Landing
Be careful about choosing this facility. While attractive, the neighbors the edge of a very busy highway and there are no sidewalks or walkways on the property. If you drive, it can be perilous, ... Read more
Review of The Pillars of Shorewood Landing
My grandmother moved into Shorewood Landing, and I've had no complaints. Her room is spacious, clean, and bright, and the food is very good. The staff is very friendly, and they have a memory care ... Read more