2 Assisted Living Facilities in Marquette, MI
The average cost of assisted living in Marquette is $5,870 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Marquette. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Marquette 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Marquette, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Marquette
Marquette is located on the shore of Lake Superior in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The city has been ranked among the best places to retire by CBS News, CNN Money and HomeSnacks. Surprisingly, only 13.4% of the city’s 20,680 residents are senior citizens.
To accommodate these seniors, there are two assisted living communities operating within city limits. The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs regulates these facilities as homes for the aged.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Marquette
- There’s plenty for seniors who are nature lovers to do in Marquette. They can hike or fish at the 323-acre Presque Isle Park or go camping at Tourist Park. Other hiking spots include Sugarloaf Mountain Natural Area and Iron Ore Heritage Trail. For history buffs, another interesting attraction is the Marquette Maritime Museum.
- The Marquette area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UP Health System - Marquette, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Marquette enjoys a relatively low rate of violent crime. Nationally, the violent crime rate is 4 per 1,000 residents, while in Michigan, it’s 4.5 per 1,000 residents. At only 3.59 per 1,000 residents, Marquette is noticeably safer, so it may be an ideal retirement destination for safety-conscious seniors.
- Marquette receives much more snowfall than the national average. The city receives 155 inches — nearly 13 feet — of snow each year, while nationally, the average is only 28 inches. Seniors who aren't fond of the cold or snow may not find this area enticing.
- Seniors receive half-priced fares on the city’s fixed route bus service. Most routes operate Monday through Saturday, though some routes offer limited Sunday service. The city also has door-to-door bus service. Reservations are required and rates start at $1.30 for seniors, and caregivers for the disabled ride free. With so many transit options, seniors can easily travel to and from errands and medical appointments.
- Marquette’s cost of living is 6% lower than the U.S. average, which may be helpful for seniors on a fixed income. Seniors may see savings in several areas, including housing, groceries and transportation.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Marquette
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Marquette start around $5,870 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Marquette and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Marquette
Michigan offers several financial assistance programs that may help low-income seniors afford the costs of assisted living. For help with room-and-board costs, there's the optional state supplementation program. Another program, the MI Choice waiver, helps pay for personal care services and medical equipment that seniors may need in assisted living communities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Marquette
Marquette and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Marquette, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Marquette
Marquette-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Marquette
Review of Mill Creek Assisted Living
I have a friend that has her mother-in-law at Mill Creek, so I went there with her to visit it. They have coffee and a homemade bakery where you could help yourself and that was really good. I know... Read more
Review of Brookridge Heights Assisted Living and Memory Care
Brookridge Heights assisted living and memory care I would have to say is one of the nicest facilities in the are. I had a Grandfather that lived there so I visited him quite a bit and like I said... Read more