113 Assisted Living Facilities near Durand, MI
Also serving communities of Byron.
There are 113 Assisted Living Facilities in the Durand area, with 2 in Durand and 111 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Durand is $3,450 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,630. Cheaper nearby regions include Flushing with an average starting cost of $3,100.
To help you with your search, browse the 416 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Durand. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Durand 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Swartz Creek with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Durand, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Durand, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Durand
Durand is a small city located in Shiawassee County, Michigan. It's known for its small-town charm and is home to several beautiful parks that locals enjoy using for a variety of activities and events. There are a little more than 68,000 residents living in Shiawassee County, approximately 18 percent of whom are over the age of 65. Communities that provide assisted living services to seniors are known as homes for the aged throughout Michigan. Two such homes are located in Durand, with an additional 59 in surrounding towns and cities such as Flint, Flushing and Swartz Creek.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Durand
- The Durand area has few facilities to choose from in the event of medical emergencies or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Owosso.
- There are no public transportation options in Durand, meaning seniors may need to rely on family or friends to help them travel throughout the area. Some homes for the aged may offer shuttle services to take residents to medical appointments when required.
- The state of Michigan doesn't tax social security income. Seniors may be able to use these savings towards the cost of assisted living.
- Seniors living in Durand may feel unsafe, as crime rates throughout the county are incredibly high. In Flint, which is the closest major city, 16.2 violent crimes and 35.93 property crimes occur per 1,000 residents annually. By comparison, average crime rates throughout Michigan are much lower, at 4.59 violent crimes and 19.1 property crimes per 1,000 residents each year.
- The overall cost of living in Durand is more than 20 percent lower than the national average, making the area more affordable for seniors who are on a budget.
- Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may find the winters in Durand too harsh. The area has an average of 38 inches of snow each year and an average January low temperature of 15 degrees. Throughout the U.S., the average snowfall is lower, at only 26 inches per year, and the average January low temperature is more comfortable at 22.6 degrees.
Paying for Assisted Living in Durand
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Durand start around $3,450 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Durand and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Durand
Durand's senior citizen can apply for financial help with assisted living services under Michigan's Medicaid State Plan.
Those who require help paying for the cost of room and board may apply for an optional state supplement to their Supplemental Security Income. Michigan caps room and board charges for residents of homes for the aged who are Medicaid eligible.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Durand
Durand and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Durand, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Durand
Durand-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Durand
Review of Durand Senior Care and Rehab Center, LLC
My grandmother was here while in rehab. They are understaffed and it shows. It usually takes at least an hour for someone to help my grandmother after she pushes her call light whether it is for pa... Read more
Review of The Lodges of Durand
I found The Lodges of Durand to be very impressive. When I toured the place I was very impressed with everything about it. They were overstaffed to begin with. There were extra staff members around... Read more
Review of The Lodges of Durand
The Lodges of Durand is an excellent place for my friend because he has his own bedroom, he gets three meals a day, and we don't have to worry about his personal hygiene and medications. Everything... Read more