13 Assisted Living Facilities near Salisbury, MD
With an average cost of $3,617 in Salisbury, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 47 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 7 facilities in Salisbury.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Salisbury, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Salisbury
Salisbury is the county seat of Wicomico County, Maryland, and is located at the head of the river from which the county is named. Salisbury is quiet and pleasant, with the nearby Chesapeake Bay adding to its charm. Seniors can bask in the city's natural beauty at several parks, such as Pemberton Historical Park.
Seniors who like this area can choose from six local assisted living programs (ALPs) in Salisbury and eight others nearby for support with daily living activities, personal care, medication administration and recreational activities. All ALPs in Maryland are regulated by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Salisbury
- The moderate climate of Salisbury offers pleasant weather for outdoor recreation. The summer high temperature averages 88 degrees Fahrenheit, and the city sees more sunny days each year than the national average. In winter, Salisbury gets about five inches of snow and sees an average low temperature of about 27 degrees in January.
- Unfortunately, the crime rate in Salisbury is very high. At 90.8 out of 100, the city's violent crime rate is nearly three times the national average. Salisbury has a property crime rate of 78.6 out of 100, which is about twice the national average.
- Overall, the cost of living in Salisbury is lower than both the state and national averages. The housing costs are much lower than average for Maryland. Seniors can expect to pay about the same for health care in Salisbury as they would elsewhere in Maryland and the U.S., but grocery rates are considerably higher in Salisbury compared with the national average.
- Salisbury's income tax rate of 8 percent is considerably higher than the nation's average of 4.6 percent. Seniors should be aware that Maryland does exempt certain types of retirement income from taxation, including Social Security. However, income from a 401(k) or IRA is taxable. Additionally, the state is one of only two that charges an estate tax and an inheritance tax.
- The Salisbury area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Peninsula Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Shore Transit provides public transportation for the Salisbury area, including services for seniors who are unable to access regular stops. People 62 and older can receive a senior discount for bus fare.
Paying for Assisted Living in Salisbury
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Salisbury start around $3,665 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Salisbury and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Salisbury
The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Salisbury
Salisbury and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Salisbury, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Salisbury
Salisbury-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Salisbury, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Salisbury
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Salisbury
Commonwealth Senior Living at Salisbury was a warm and friendly environment. They seemed to be genuinely concerned for the residents. It's just very pleasant and very clean. It was a good experienc... Read more
Review of Atria Salisbury
I went to Atria Salisbury. The amenities were good. I didn't like it as much as I did the other place. The rooms were OK, but a little small. The staff seemed fine. The residents seemed fine. They ... Read more
Review of Atria Salisbury
Atria Salisbury looked like a good choice, but it ended up being a little bit smaller, and not really big enough for what I needed for my parents. I only met one person and he was pretty good. The ... Read more