3 Assisted Living Facilities in Milford, DE
Also serving communities of Harbeson.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Milford. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Milford 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Dover with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Milford, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Milford
Milford is a small community in the central Delmarva Peninsula that has plenty of attractions that seniors enjoy. That may be why 19.7% of its residents are aged 65 and over. Part of this senior population lives in the three assisted living facilities located within the city limits. These assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Milford, as well as all other ALFs in Delaware, are licensed and regulated by the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Milford
- Seniors seeking out assisted living in Milford may want to ensure that facilities have adequate safety measures in place. The city has a violent crime rate that is 24.8 points higher than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rate that is 46.2 points higher than the national average of 35.4.
- Milford hosts arts and cultural activities throughout the year that seniors love. The Ladybug Music Festival is one of the largest showcases for female artists in the area, and the Riverwalk Freedom Festival has an abundance of exhibits and local vendors over three days in September.
- Seniors who enjoy the outdoors may not love Milford's high levels of rain, but summer here is not as hot as many other parts of the East Coast. The city gets 45 inches of rain per year, and the average high in July is 86 degrees. The most comfortable times of year to get outside are May, June and September.
- Seniors in Milford who enjoy going outdoors may want to check the daily air quality before going out for the day. Sussex County, where Milford is located, gets a D for ozone pollution from the American Lung Association. Exposure to excess ozone can be hazardous to circulatory and respiratory health.
- Milford may be more affordable for seniors due to Delaware's tax policies. There is no state income tax on social security benefits, and there are no sales taxes in any city or county. A deduction of up to $12,500 is available for seniors who receive income from pensions or retirement savings accounts.
- The Milford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bayhealth Hospital, Sussex Campus, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Milford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Delaware
Assisted Living costs in Milford start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Milford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Milford
The only financial assistance available for seniors in Milford is through Delaware's Medicaid system. The Diamond State Health Plan Plus (DSHP+) can help pay for some medical and personal care services received within an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Milford
Milford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Milford, please visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Milford
Milford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Delaware are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Milford
Review of Milford Place
Milford Place didn't suit us. We're a little more active than what we saw. There were many people in wheelchairs. The one-bedroom looked like a motel room. There was no stove, just a mini refrigera... Read more
Review of Milford Place
I liked Heritage at Milford, but the people were not helpful with my dad’s problem. Read more
Review of Milford Place
We had mom last July at Heritage at Milford. The facility is very nice as well as the people. The staff appeared to be very caring. Mom has adjusted well. I've eaten there a few times and the food ... Read more