5 Assisted Living Facilities in Dover, DE
The average cost of assisted living in Dover is $4,545 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Milford with an average starting cost of $3,124.
To help you with your search, browse the 28 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dover. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dover 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Denton with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Dover find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dover, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Dover, DE
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dover
Dover is just off the coast of the Atlantic Ocean and is Delaware's capital city. It's home to a little less than 40,000 residents, 14% of whom are senior citizens aged 65 and older. Those seniors who require 24-hour assisted living care can choose from five assisted living facilities that are located in the city. In Dover and throughout Delaware, these facilities are closely monitored and must operate within parameters set forth by the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Long-Term Care Residents Protection.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dover
- There are plenty of art and cultural attractions for seniors living in Dover to enjoy, including a variety of museums such as the Biggs Museum of American Art and the Air Mobility Command Museum.
- Although Dover's air quality has been assigned a passing grade by the American Lung Association, it's not flawless, so some seniors may find that they experience respiratory symptoms on days when pollution is high.
- There's an array of community resources available to seniors in the Dover area, including the Delaware Senior Resource Network, which helps to connect seniors with local services and advocacy programs, as well as two senior centers.
- Dover's violent and property crime rates are nearly double the national and state averages. Seniors who choose assisted living in the city should make sure that any facility they consider has taken measures to keep residents safe.
- Seniors can commute to appointments safely via DART transit, which offers reduced fares for seniors and paratransit options to those who need additional assistance getting around.
- The Dover area is home to world-class healthcare facilities, including Bayhealth Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dover
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Delaware
Assisted Living costs in Dover start around $4,545 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dover and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dover
Dover seniors who are unable to afford the cost of assisted living can apply for assistance from the Delaware Diamond State Health Plan Plus, which is a managed long-term care program operated by the state's Medicaid system.
The state also offers an optional state supplement, which is provided to senior citizens who are beneficiaries of the federal Supplemental Security Income payment and can be used to pay for room-and-board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dover
Dover and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dover, please visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dover
Dover-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Delaware are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Dover, DE
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dover
Review of Brookdale Dover
My mom and my sister are both in Brookdale Dover. We chose it because of its pricing, availability, and its friendly location. So far our experience has been fine. The staff is fine, too, we have h... Read more
Review of Brookdale Dover
My Mom has been a resident of Asst Living Dover Brookdale since 2017. I commend the staff on their attention to the needs of residents. The staff provides games, bus rides, exercise, crafts, etc ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Dover
Brookdale Dover was good. It was definitely highly ranked. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The rooms were nice and clean. They were what you would expect and acceptable. Their dining ... Read more