3 Assisted Living Facilities near Cambridge, MD
Also serving communities of Trappe.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Cambridge area, with 2 in Cambridge and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cambridge, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Cambridge, MD
1 Assisted Living Facility near Cambridge, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cambridge
Nestled on the eastern shore of Maryland about 90 miles southeast of Washington D.C., Cambridge offers seniors a charming waterfront community rich in history. Nature lovers, photographers and birdwatchers flock to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, while history buffs can explore Cambridge’s museums, which include the Harriet Tubman Museum and Educational Center.
Cambridge boasts a sizable senior population, with approximately 17.1% of its population of nearly 12,300 comprised of adults aged 65 and older. Those who need help with the activities of daily living have two assisted living facilities in Cambridge to choose from, with another community in nearby Trappe. Maryland’s Department of Health licenses and regulates all the assisted living programs (ALPs) in Cambridge and throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cambridge
- Seniors who enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle should be mindful of Cambridge’s air quality. The American Lung Association grades Dorchester County a C for ozone pollution and A for particle pollution.
- Delmarva Community Transit (DCT) provides seniors over 60 with affordable transportation, with $1.50 one-way bus fares and door-to-door service with 24-hour notice. All buses accommodate wheelchairs, power scooters and individuals unable to climb stairs.
- High crime rates in Cambridge may concern seniors and their families. The city’s violent crime rate of 55.1 is more than double the U.S. average of 22.7. Likewise, the property crime rate in Cambridge of 80.1 is much higher than the national average of 35.4.
- The Cambridge area is home to world-class medical facilities, including University of Maryland Medical Center at Dorchester, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors looking for a dry climate won’t find it in Cambridge. The city gets some kind of precipitation 108 days per year, on average. With 46 inches of average annual rainfall and 11 inches of snow, Cambridge may be too wet for some older adults.
- Cambridge seniors are not taxed by the state on Social Security benefits, but income from a 401(k) or IRA is taxed. Maryland is one of just two states that impose both an inheritance tax and an estate tax, which could be problematic for some seniors and their heirs.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cambridge
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Cambridge start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cambridge and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cambridge
Cambridge seniors may be eligible for aid for assisted living expenses through several Maryland programs, including three Medicaid waivers. The Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program is designed for eligible seniors residing in ALPs with 16 or fewer residents. Those living in larger facilities may qualify for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cambridge
Cambridge and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cambridge, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cambridge
Cambridge-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.