74 Assisted Living Facilities near Glen Burnie, MD
With an average cost of $0 in Glen Burnie, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 6 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 9 facilities in Glen Burnie.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Glen Burnie, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Glen Burnie
Glen Burnie is located in the scenic central Maryland area and is less than 30 minutes away from both Baltimore and Washington D.C. While the senior population is only about 11 percent of the total residents, seniors still have multiple choices when looking for an assisted living facility. There are nine of these communities within Glen Burnie and another 48 located nearby.
The Maryland Department of Health regulates Assisted Living Facilities, which are defined as facilities that provide housing and support to the elderly, provide personalized services such as medication management and may offer help with activities of daily living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Glen Burnie
- Seniors with a respiratory condition may have health complications in Glen Burnie. Despite the American Lung Association’s favorable Particle Pollution 24-hour rating of A, the area’s ozone score gets an F.
- Seniors and their loved ones may feel unsafe living in Glen Burnie due to the high crime rate. Violent crime is almost twice as high as the national average, so seniors may not feel comfortable while out on errands. Property crime is 16 percent higher than the national average.
- The Glen Burnie area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Arundel Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Active seniors who enjoy the outdoors can really soak in the sun here, with 211 sunny days and warm summers that average 87 degrees in July. The winters can be chilly with a low average of 27, but with only 15 inches of snow, seniors can still get around fairly easily.
- Seniors in the Glen Burnie area have access to reliable bus and rail transportation through the Maryland Transit Administration. Buses are accessible for those with mobility devices and offer a discounted fare for seniors.
- Glen Burnie seniors can enjoy tried and true pastimes such as a round of golf at Arundel Golf Park or shopping and dining at major retailers like Golden Corral or Target located in the Arundel Shopping Plaza.
Paying for Assisted Living in Glen Burnie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Glen Burnie start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Glen Burnie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Glen Burnie
Seniors on a tight budget may be eligible for aid with assisted living costs through the Community Options Waiver, part of the state’s Medicaid plan. There is one non-Medicaid plan called the Assisted Living Subsidy program that also gives aid to qualified seniors living in Maryland.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Glen Burnie
Glen Burnie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Glen Burnie, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Glen Burnie
Glen Burnie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Glen Burnie, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Glen Burnie
Review of Kind Hearts Home
My mom moved into Kind Hearts, and so far I think the service is good. There's only three women and one man, although the capacity is three women and three men. There's always two nurses permanentl... Read more
Review of Kind Hearts Home
Kind Hearts Home Assisted Living is an excellent facility. It's a very small home. The staff has been excellent, very caring, and very knowledgeable. My mother is very happy. Everything is perfect.... Read more
Review of Arundel Woods
Catholic Charities was a very nice place. The room seemed like a good size, but they told me that for six to nine months, they won’t have an opening. Everything seemed to be OK. The room was a one-... Read more