41 Assisted Living Facilities near Accokeek, MD
Also serving communities of White Hall.
There are 41 Assisted Living Facilities in the Accokeek area, with 2 in Accokeek and 39 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 156 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Accokeek. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Accokeek 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Waldorf with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Accokeek, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Accokeek, MD
39 Assisted Living Facilities near Accokeek, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Accokeek
Accokeek is a small city located along the Potomac River in southern Maryland. Although the area has been inhabited since around 2000 B.C., the first European settler to the area was Captain John Smith in 1608. These days, area residents, including the senior population of 975 people, can enjoy playing the lanes at the local bowling alley, painting while they sip a glass of wine at Wine & Design, viewing exhibits in local museums and strolling through the city’s parks.
Seniors who need help with daily living activities can find it in one of the two assisted living facilities in Accokeek, or in one of the 39 additional facilities located in nearby neighborhoods such as Alexandria, Waldorf and Temple Hills.
These facilities are licensed by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and are called assisted living programs in Accokeek and throughout the state of Maryland.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Accokeek
- Maryland does not tax Social Security benefits, which could help Accokeek seniors keep more money at tax time to put toward their monthly budgets.
- The cost of living in Accokeek is 153, notably higher than the Maryland average of 124.6 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors can expect to pay more for groceries, healthcare and transportation in this city than they would in other parts of the state or nation. This is something that seniors with restrictive budgets may want to consider before relocating to the city.
- The air quality in Accokeek, rated at 59 out of 100, is only one point higher than the national average of 58. Seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions may find that their symptoms remain stable in Accokeek’s relatively clean air.
- The Accokeek area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Alexandria.
- Accokeek’s violent crime rate at 20.7, is two points lower than the national average of 22.7; however, the property crime rate at 38, is approximately three points higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to keep an eye on their belongings and take inventory of their surroundings when exploring the city.
- The sun shines for 202 days each year in Accokeek, three more than the national average of 205, which might make the city an ideal location for seniors who like to be out and about when weather permits.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Accokeek
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Accokeek start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Accokeek and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Accokeek
Maryland has two programs for Accokeek seniors who need help with assisted living costs. These programs are known as the Community Options waiver and the Increased Community Services Program, both of which have financial eligibility requirements.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Accokeek
Accokeek and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Accokeek, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Accokeek
Accokeek-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Accokeek
Review of Birchwood Group Home II
My mom is at Birchwood Group Home II. It is great. They are very friendly. The place is clean and very nice. It is very homey. The room is very spacious. It seems like the people are very caring. T... Read more