9 Assisted Living Facilities in Orleans Parish, LA
The average cost of assisted living in Orleans Parish is $2,625 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,495.
To help you with your search, browse the 44 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Orleans Parish. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Orleans Parish 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Saint Tammany Parish with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Orleans Parish, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in New Orleans
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Orleans Parish, LA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Orleans Parish
Orleans Parish is the seat for the famous city of New Orleans and was named after the Duke of Orleans, the regent of France in 1718. Seniors living in the parish have nine Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) to choose from. ALFs in Louisiana are facilities housing two or more elderly or disabled residents. These residents are given basic care and assistance with daily living activities by licensed staff. ALFs in this state are referred to as Adult Residential Care Facilities and are governed by the Louisiana Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Orleans Parish
- Orleans Parish’s biggest city, New Orleans, has a cost of living rated at 7.5 percent higher than the national average. Seniors on a budget living in this area may have difficulty building their savings.
- Seniors and their loved ones may not feel safe living in this area, due to the high crime rate. Violent crime is rated at 71.5 out of 100 (1 being the safest), which is much higher than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is rated at 49.6, which is also higher than the national average of 38.1.
- In the “Big Easy” seniors have a numerous ways to spend their downtime. Seniors might enjoy a trip to see the New Orleans Baby Cakes minor league baseball team, see a production by the New Orleans Opera Association, the first city opera in America, or explore the vibrant French Quarter.
- The Regional Transit Authority (RTA) offers transportation throughout Orleans Parish. Seniors receive a discounted fare and can use the RTA to access doctor’s appointments, shopping and local attractions. The buses are wheelchair accessible for seniors and persons with limited mobility.
- Seniors living in Orleans Parish enjoy a mild climate. Summers average high temperatures of 91 degrees and the warm winters have an average low temperature of 44 degrees. Outdoorsy seniors and seniors with limited mobility can be active all year round in this climate.
- The Orleans Parish area is home to world-class medical facilities, including University Medical Center New Orleans, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Orleans Parish
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Orleans Parish start around $2,550 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Orleans Parish and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Orleans Parish
Eligible seniors who are seeking financial aid for assisted living costs are able to get help through the state’s Medicaid Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver program. Louisiana also has one non-Medicaid program, the Louisiana Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) program, that qualified seniors may apply for.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Orleans Parish
Orleans Parish and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Orleans Parish, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Orleans Parish
Orleans Parish-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Orleans Parish, LA
Assisted Living near Orleans Parish, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Orleans Parish
Review of Poydras Home
The home is clean and the staff is friendly but the home is understaffed. Every department seems understaffed. The residents have long waits for assistance when they call for help. The building... Read more
Review of Chateau De Notre Dame
The efficiently arranged living area is spacious. The tiny balconies provide lovely vistas and give plant loving residents ability to care for a few plants. Chateau Care professionals have been ... Read more
Review of Woldenberg Village
Our top choice is Woldenberg Village. We saw their assisted living and their memory care. The facility was really nice, with really good staff members, and the apartments were really nice. They hav... Read more