2 Assisted Living Facilities in Emporia, KS
The average cost of assisted living in Emporia is $2,725 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Emporia. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Emporia 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Burlington with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Emporia, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Emporia
Tucked midway between Topeka and Wichita, Emporia, Kansas, bears the nickname of Gravel City. This county seat of Lyon County is surrounded by the Flint Hills, which offer seniors who cycle challenging places to ride along with beautiful vistas, 150 species of birds and hundreds of wildflowers to explore. Of Emporia’s nearly 24,800 residents, 12.3% are aged 65 and older.
To accommodate seniors who require help with daily activities such as meals, medication management and housekeeping, Emporia offers two assisted living facilities. The Department for Aging and Disability Services governs ALFs in Emporia and throughout the state of Kansas.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Emporia
- Seniors find an overall cost of living in Emporia that's about 13% lower than the national average. However, most of that is attributable to the lower cost of housing and transportation. Seniors can expect the price of groceries and healthcare in Emporia to be on par with the U.S. averages.
- Kansas holds the No. 3 slot on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of the 10 least tax-friendly states for retirees. Seniors in Emporia pay taxes on distributions from 401(k) plans, out-of-state pensions and individual retirement accounts. Residents with a federal adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less do not pay state taxes on Social Security benefits, but those with a higher AGI do.
- Seniors and their families may find peace of mind in learning Emporia’s violent crime rate of 13.4 is significantly lower than the U.S. average of 22.7. However, a property crime score of 35.8 puts Emporia in line with the national average of 35.4. Ensuring that any assisted living community under consideration is equipped with state-of-the-art security and monitoring systems can help seniors feel safer in their chosen facility.
- Emporia has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Emporioa Senior Center, which offers a variety of daily games, social events and exercise opportunities.
- With a BestPlaces Comfort Index score of 7.3 out of 10, Emporia offers seniors one of the more appealing climates in the state. July’s summer high averages 90 degrees, which is cooler than most parts of Kansas. January’s average nighttime low is 19 degrees, which is warmer than most places in the state.
- The Emporia area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Newman Regional Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Emporia
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Emporia start around $2,725 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Emporia and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Emporia
Seniors living in Emporia may be eligible for help with paying for assisted living through Kansas’ Medicaid Frail Elderly (FE) waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Emporia
Emporia and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Emporia, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Emporia
Emporia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Emporia
Review of Emporia Place
I really like the Sterling House of Emporia. It's very nice and very clean. The staff was very pleasant. Their rooms are small, but it's probably because they are assisted living and not apartment.... Read more
Review of Emporia Place
Sterling House of Emporia is very nice. I was looking for a facility for a friend at the time of my visit. She has a baby grand piano, and they were willing to give a space for her piano, and I tho... Read more
Review of Emporia Place
Sterling House is very charming if you're looking for a smaller community. My mom was coming from outside the area and I felt like there is not much diversity there. I found the staff remarkable an... Read more