2 Assisted Living Facilities in Story City, IA
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Story City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Story City 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Webster City with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Story City, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Story City, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Story City
Every town has a story to tell and Story City, located in central Iowa approximately 25 miles north of Des Moines, is no exception. Area residents and seniors can browse through several museums rich in area history, including the Sheldall Schoolhouse Museum. Residents can also visit local antique stores, view an antique carousel, partake in some live theatre, support the area’s local markets, or take a swing or two at the local golf course. Of the city’s 3,431 residents, 766 are seniors who are at least 65 years of age. Seniors who require an assisted level of care may benefit from living in one of the city’s two assisted living facilities.
In Story City, and throughout the entire state of Iowa, assisted living facilities are called assisted living programs and residential care facilities, both of which are overseen by the Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Story City
- The Story City area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Nevada or Ames.
- Seniors with respiratory ailments can breathe easier in Story City. On a 100-point scale where 100 represents the places with the best air quality, the city has a score of 80, considerably higher than the U.S. average of 58.
- Story City seniors who rely on pensions or retirement savings account income may find that they have less money available to contribute to their expenses. The state of Iowa partially taxes retirement and pensions, both public and private.
- The overall cost of living in Story City is 93.1, slightly higher than the Iowa average of 89.5, but lower than the national average of 100. Seniors can expect to pay less for groceries and transportation here than in other parts of the state or the nation, however healthcare expenses rank 121, higher than both the state and U.S. averages, which might be a concern for seniors with chronic health conditions.
- Seniors seeking out a safe retirement location may find it in Story City. The city has a violent crime rate of 8.7 and a property crime rate of 21, both of which are 14 points lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Winters are eventful in Story City with bone-chilling temperatures of 12 degrees and annual snowfalls of 30 inches, which could be a concern to seniors with mobility issues.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Story City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Story City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Story City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Story City
Low-income Story City seniors may be able to get assistance when it comes to paying for assisted living expenses through the HCBS Elderly waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Story City
Story City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Story City, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Story City
Story City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Story City
Review of Bethany Life - The Households of Bethany
We have found a place in Story City called Bethany Life, and we're on the waiting list. They were able to take Medicaid. When you walk in, it's secure. They are very welcoming. It doesn't feel like... Read more
Review of Timberland Village
My husband's aunt will be moving into Timberland Village ALF. It was beautiful. It was spotless. The residents that we happened to pass in the hall were all very cordial and very excited that someo... Read more