2 Assisted Living Facilities in Emmetsburg, IA
Also serving communities of Ruthven, West Bend, Algona, Pocahontas.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Emmetsburg, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Emmetsburg, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Emmetsburg
Emmetsburg, Iowa, is home to a Blarney Stone gifted to the city by Dublin, Ireland, a monument that residents can view — or maybe even kiss — every day in the Courthouse Square. The city is also home to a thriving senior community of 845 people, more than 21% of the city’s total population of 3,904.
Seniors in the city can enjoy their days strolling by or fishing in the Des Moines River, taking in a play at one of the local community theatres, enjoying the finest Iowa golfing experience at the Five Island Golf Course, touring Jackman Cabin and visiting area museums and casinos. Seniors who feel like they might benefit from assisted living can choose from one of the two assisted living facilities the city has to offer.
The Health Facilities Division of the Department of Inspections and Appeals licenses and oversees assisted living programs and residential care facilities in Emmetsburg and in Iowa as a whole.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Emmetsburg
- Emmetsburg offers a RIDES program that provides transportation between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday within the city. Rides must be booked in advance.
- Emmetsburg seniors may find that they have more money to allocate toward their assisted living expenses due to Iowa’s tax laws. Social Security benefits are not taxed, and pensions and retirement savings account withdrawals are only partially taxed.
- Seniors who enjoy being on the go might appreciate Emmetsburg’s low crime rates. The city’s violent crime rate is 16.6 and the property crime rate is 13.9, both of which are much lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- The Emmetsburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Palo Alto County Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors with severe respiratory or cardiovascular conditions may find relief in Emmetsburg. The city has an air quality rating of 86 out of 100 where higher numbers represent better air quality, almost 30 points higher than the national average of 58.
- Emmetsburg’s overall cost of living is 81.1, significantly lower than both the Iowa average of 89.5 and the U.S. average of 100. Groceries and healthcare expenses, two of the largest monthly expenses for seniors, are higher than the average here at 101.7 and 120.7, respectively which may make the city unaffordable for those with the tightest budgets.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Emmetsburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Emmetsburg start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Emmetsburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Emmetsburg
In Emmetsburg and throughout Iowa, seniors who need assistance paying for assisted living services might be able to get help through the state’s HCBS Elderly waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Emmetsburg
Emmetsburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Emmetsburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Emmetsburg
Emmetsburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.