4 Assisted Living Facilities in New Castle, IN
The average cost of assisted living in New Castle is $3,660 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Anderson with an average starting cost of $3,441.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Castle. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Castle 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Shelbyville with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Castle, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Castle
The county seat of Henry County, New Castle is on the Big Blue River and surrounded by agricultural land. Seniors here may meet visitors from all over the country due to the popularity of the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame. Seniors aged 65 and over make up about 18% of New Castle's population of approximately 18,000.
For those older residents who need a safe, healthy place to age while maintaining as much independence as possible, New Castle offers four assisted living communities. In all of Indiana, including New Castle, these facilities fall under the oversight of the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), Division of Long-Term Care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Castle
- New Castle’s overall cost of living is about 30% lower than the national average. This makes it easier for seniors with limited financial resources to save money on groceries, healthcare and transportation. The average housing costs here are especially low — nearly 70% less than the U.S. average.
- Property crime rates for burglary, arson and theft in New Castle are excessively high. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being high crime, New Castle scores a 95.1, higher than the U.S. average of 35.4. Violent crime here is lower, however, with New Castle scoring a 10.2 compared to the national average of 22.7. Seniors should seek out assisted living communities that are well-protected by modern surveillance and security systems.
- Seniors who don’t enjoy heat and humidity should consider that New Castle summers are long, warm, and oppressively muggy, both day and night. The winters are cold and windy, with the period from early December to early March bringing an average daily high temperature below 44 degrees.
- The New Castle area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Henry Community Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- New Castle has an array of community resources for seniors, including LifeStream Services, an organization that provides a variety of programs and services including care management, wellness programs, senior meals and transportation. Additionally, the New Castle Senior Center offers meals, exercise programs and recreational activities.
- Indiana is moderately tax-friendly when it comes to retirees, according to SmartAsset. While seniors in New Castle are not taxed at the state level on their Social Security retirement benefits, income received from public or private pension plans is fully taxed.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Castle
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in New Castle start around $3,660 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Castle and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Castle
Indiana’s state-funded Supplemental SSI program may help Medicaid-eligible seniors in New Castle cover some of the costs associated with assisted living. Financial eligibility is based on the amount of assistance seniors are already receiving from SSI and any other income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Castle
New Castle and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Castle, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Castle
New Castle-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in New Castle, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Castle
Review of Glen Oaks Health Campus
I did not like Glen Oaks Health Campus at all. They were doing karaoke and they were serving alcohol to the residents when I walked in. I had no problems with that; I just did not like the facility... Read more
Review of Addison Place
My mom's room at Addison Place is comfortable and clean and fits her needs. The facility is pretty well-kept, and I have no problem with the staff at all. They're very nice. As far as the care for ... Read more
Review of Senior Living at Forest Ridge
The best assisted living place ever! I'm very familiar with facilities in Indy, Muncie and Richmond. Forest Ridge (which is now the correct name as Glen Oaks is the sister skilled nursing facility... Read more