4 Assisted Living Facilities in New Castle, IN
The average cost of assisted living in New Castle is $3,120 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,465. Cheaper nearby regions include Pendleton with an average starting cost of $1,974.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Castle. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Castle 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Anderson with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Castle, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in New Castle, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Castle
New Castle, Indiana, is home to the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame, a 14,000-square-foot museum with interactive exhibits, jerseys, trophies and photos of Indiana's most prominent basketball players. This museum is located in the southwestern region of the city and is easily accessible to the city's 17,000 residents, including seniors.
New Castle has a large senior community that makes up 18% of the total population. Seniors who can no longer live at home alone safely may transition to one of New Castle's four assisted living facilities. These facilities are officially called residential care facilities, and they're governed by Indiana's Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Castle
- The New Castle area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Henry Community Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- New Castle Community Transit is the public transportation system in New Castle. It has four main routes and has regularly scheduled stops at the local hospital and shopping center. Seniors age 60 and over are eligible to ride for a half-fare, and accompanying caregivers can ride for free.
- New Castle retirees don't pay state income tax on the money they receive from Social Security. However, pension income and withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed, which may impact how much money local seniors can put toward assisted living expenses.
- With a cost of living that is nearly 20% below the national average, New Castle may be an economical choice for seniors with restrictive retirement budgets. Healthcare is especially affordable here at about 20% lower than the U.S. average, which may benefit seniors with chronic health conditions.
- New Castle residents have a 1 in 67 chance of being the victim of any type of crime, and a majority of the crime that takes place here is property-related. The city is safer than 46% of other U.S. cities and 28% safer than other Indiana cities. As they're visiting local assisted living facilities, seniors may want to find out what security measures are taken to protect residents.
- New Castle summers are long, warm and humid with highs around 83 degrees and muggy conditions over 50% of the time, which may be a consideration for seniors with respiratory conditions. Winters are chilly with lows near 20 degrees.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Castle
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in New Castle start around $3,120 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Castle and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Castle
Indiana has several programs that may provide funding for New Castle seniors in assisted living, including Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915(c) waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Castle
New Castle and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Castle, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Castle
New Castle-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in New Castle, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Castle
Review of Glen Oaks Health Campus
I did not like Glen Oaks Health Campus at all. They were doing karaoke and they were serving alcohol to the residents when I walked in. I had no problems with that; I just did not like the facility... Read more
Review of Addison Place
My mom's room at Addison Place is comfortable and clean and fits her needs. The facility is pretty well-kept, and I have no problem with the staff at all. They're very nice. As far as the care for ... Read more
Review of Senior Living at Forest Ridge
The best assisted living place ever! I'm very familiar with facilities in Indy, Muncie and Richmond. Forest Ridge (which is now the correct name as Glen Oaks is the sister skilled nursing facility... Read more