3 Assisted Living Facilities in Shelbyville, IN
The average cost of assisted living in Shelbyville is $3,670 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shelbyville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shelbyville 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Greensburg with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shelbyville, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shelbyville
The city of Shelbyville has numerous parks, including Pioneer Park, where city residents can rent garden space to grow fresh flowers and produce. This city, which is located in northern Indiana, is home to nearly 20,000 people and has a senior community that makes up over 14% of the population.
Shelbyville seniors have two assisted living facilities to choose from, both of which are located on North Riley Highway. These facilities, like all assisted living facilities in the state, are officially called residential care facilities and are licensed by Indiana's Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shelbyville
- The Shelbyville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MHP Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation in Shelbyville is provided by ShelbyGo, a service of Shelby Senior Services. This service operates on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Passengers age 60 and over are encouraged to give a donation for their ride.
- Shelbyville has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Shelby Senior Services, an organization that provides local seniors with health and wellness programming, meals, legal services and day and extended trips, as well as one senior center.
- Shelby County, where Shelbyville is located, received a B for ozone pollution from the American Lung Association. This type of pollution, which develops when gases from smokestacks and tailpipes come into contact with sunlight, can worsen the symptoms of some medical conditions. Shelbyville's clean air may make the city a good option for seniors with conditions like COPD or cardiovascular disease.
- Shelbyville seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits, but withdrawals from retirement savings accounts and disbursements from government and private pensions are taxed as regular income. This may affect how much money is available for assisted living services.
- Shelbyville has a lower crime rate than just 10 percent of cities of all sizes across the country and 7 percent of Indiana cities, and it has notably more violent and property crime than other U.S. cities that are similar in population size. Seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility that uses security features such as surveillance cameras and alarm systems.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shelbyville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Shelbyville start around $3,670 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shelbyville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shelbyville
In Shelbyville, low-income seniors may receive help with their assisted living expenses through one of Indiana's state-funded programs. These programs include Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915(c) waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shelbyville
Shelbyville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shelbyville, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shelbyville
Shelbyville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Shelbyville, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shelbyville
Review of Walker Place
I moved my mom to Walker House because I heard good things about it, and it was local. Nothing is perfect, but getting used to being there and everything, and overall I think they are doing pretty ... Read more
Review of Ashford Place Health Campus
The Villas at Ashford Place is equally as good as with the other facility I visited. It was nice and clean. The helpers were helpful. The rooms were good. I would recommend this place to others. Read more
Review of Walker Place
I had no complaints at all about the staff at Walker House. I would certainly recommend this facility. Read more