3 Assisted Living Facilities in Greencastle, IN
The average cost of assisted living in Greencastle is $3,225 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395. Cheaper nearby regions include Plainfield with an average starting cost of $2,452.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Greencastle. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Greencastle 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brazil with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Greencastle, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Greencastle
Surrounded by lush farmland, Greencastle is home to approximately 10,000 residents. This Midwestern city is about an hour’s drive from Indianapolis and Terre Haute, putting seniors close to big-city amenities when the urge for a day trip strikes.
About 15.4% of Greencastle’s residents are aged 65 and older. The city provides three assisted living communities to accommodate seniors who need help with personal care and other activities of daily living. The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), Division of Long-Term Care has governance over the ALFs in Greencastle as well as those in the rest of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Greencastle
- Seniors with limited financial resources may appreciate Greencastle’s cost of living, which is about 15% lower than the U.S. average. The price of housing is the main contributing factor, but seniors pay less for healthcare, transportation and groceries too.
- While Indiana exempts Social Security retirement benefits from taxation, income from IRAs, 401(k)s and private pensions are fully taxable. Seniors considering a move to Greencastle should know that the Hoosier State is one of Kiplinger's least tax-friendly states for retirees.
- Greencastle is home to DePauw University, which gives seniors access to an array of cultural resources. The 175-acre campus hosts a wide range of speakers, musical performers and theatrical events. The University also features a 520-acre nature park with 8.7 miles of trails and an amphitheater.
- Older adults seeking a comfortable year-round climate won’t find it in Greencastle. With an average of 20 inches of snow and 45 inches of rain annually and a January low of 18 degrees, active seniors may suffer from winter cabin fever. Add the excessively humid summers, and it’s easy to see why the city’s Sperling’s Comfort Index score is a low 39 out of 100.
- Greencastle’s violent crime ranking of 15.4 is lower than the U.S. average of 22.7, but property crime is higher here. On a scale of 1 to 100 with 1 being low crime, Greencastle ranks a 48.5, higher than the U.S. average of 35.4. Families considering a Greencastle assisted living facility for a loved one should inquire about the security and surveillance systems.
- The Greencastle area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Putnam County Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Greencastle
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Greencastle start around $3,225 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Greencastle and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Greencastle
Medicaid-eligible seniors in Greencastle may receive help in paying for assisted living from Indiana’s state-funded Supplemental SSI program. Some ALFs in Indiana accept Medicaid payment provided the resident qualifies for the program and receives the Aged and Disabled Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Greencastle
Greencastle and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Greencastle, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Greencastle
Greencastle-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Greencastle
Review of Autumn Glen
Autumn Glen was the best we've seen and was our first choice. I liked the configuration of the hallways. The entrance of each room was indented, like in a very nice hotel, and the rooms were larger. Read more
Review of Autumn Glen
A truly wonderful facility, with caring, dedicated staff. My father was treated with love and respect throughout his stay at Autumn Glen. The care he received was truly extraordinary, for which I w... Read more
Review of Mill Pond Health Campus
Mill Pond Health Campus didn't work with me and didn't get back with me. They just weren't really helpful. I didn't like their business sense. The girl there wasn't a very good marketing person. Wh... Read more