15 Assisted Living Facilities near Mchenry, IL
Also serving communities of Ringwood, Fox Lake.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mchenry area, with 3 in Mchenry and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mchenry is $3,775 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Buffalo Grove with an average starting cost of $3,727.
To help you with your search, browse the 143 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mchenry. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mchenry 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lake In The Hills with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mchenry, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Mchenry, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mchenry
McHenry, Illinois has a population of 26,657, and 18.9 percent of it consists of seniors ages 60 and older. Assisted living establishments in McHenry are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health. These facilities are required to have private, single-occupancy units for residents, unlike shared housing establishments. At least 80 percent of residents must be 55 years of age or older, and there must be three or more unrelated residents for whom age-in-place services and housing are provided. Units at assisted living establishments must have private bathrooms and enough space for small appliances. There are approximately 12 assisted living facilities in the McHenry area, with several in surrounding areas such as Crystal Lake and Algonquin.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mchenry
- Seniors can feel safe in McHenry because the crime rate is lower than the national average. Property crime in McHenry ranks 28.7 as compared to the U.S. average of 38.1. The violent crime ranking in McHenry is 28.3; the national average is higher at 38.1.
- It’s convenient and cost-efficient for seniors to travel McHenry via public transportation. The Pace bus system has routes all over the area, with discounted fares for seniors and Medicare cardholders.
- The McHenry area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Centegra Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- McHenry, like the rest of Illinois, is tax-friendly for seniors. Social Security benefits, retirement income and pension income are all tax-exempt.
- McHenry ranks 76 out of 100 on an air quality scale based on the EPA’s National Air Toxics Assessment, while the U.S. on average only ranks 58. This may make it difficult for seniors with respiratory illness to spend a lot of time outside.
- The climate in McHenry can be harsh for seniors, with 37 inches of snow per year on average and January lows around 13 degrees Fahrenheit. McHenry ranks 41 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index, which is a lower rating than the U.S. average of 54.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mchenry
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Mchenry start around $4,225 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mchenry and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mchenry
Seniors in McHenry who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may qualify for an Optional State Supplement (OSS) to help offset assisted living costs. Illinois Medicaid offers a waiver program that may also help seniors on a limited income to cover their expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mchenry
Mchenry and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mchenry, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mchenry
Mchenry-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Mchenry, IL
Other Options in Mchenry, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mchenry
Review of Randall Residence of McHenry
My mom has been in Fox Point & Fox Point Manor for five weeks now. The staff members are very responsive and very friendly. The people seem happy. The food is average, which is probably the onl... Read more
Review of White Oaks at McHenry
White Oaks at McHenry was very nice. The rooms were very nice. The dining area looked institutional, but it was still nice, roomy, and very clean. The staff was helpful, and you could see them stop... Read more
Review of Randall Residence of McHenry
My mother-in-law moved into Fox Point & Fox Point Manor. The facility was nice, clean, fresh, and new. The people were very nice to us. They have a balcony available which my mother-in-law want... Read more