14 Assisted Living Facilities near Crystal Lake, IL
Also serving communities of Cary, Woodstock.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Crystal Lake area, with 4 in Crystal Lake and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Crystal Lake is $3,120 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Arlington Heights with an average starting cost of $3,075.
To help you with your search, browse the 142 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Crystal Lake. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Crystal Lake 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lake In The Hills with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Crystal Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Crystal Lake, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Crystal Lake
Crystal Lake, population 40,448, is the largest city in McHenry County, Illinois, in the northernmost part of the state. It is part of the Chicago metropolitan area, giving residents both the comfort of a smaller town and the chance for city adventures whenever they choose. Assisted living facilities in Crystal Lake are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), Division of Healthcare Regulation. IDPH states that an assisted living establishment must provide single-occupancy apartments for residents that include a private bathroom and space to accommodate small kitchen appliances. There are 47 assisted living facilities near Crystal Lake.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Crystal Lake
- The cost of living in Crystal Lake is very high. With a cost of living index of 108.3, it is much higher than the national average and that of the state of Illinois. A city with a high COL index can greatly impact retirement options.
- Seniors in Crystal Lake should feel safe in the city. It has a violent crime rate of 11.1, only one-third of the U.S. and state average. For comparison, the Chicago metro area has a violent crime rate of 37.9. Property crime in Crystal Lake is 29.8, considerably less than that of the Chicago metro area and the national average.
- Crystal Lake is not the place for seniors looking for a warm climate. Each year, the city gets about 34 inches of snow and has a January low temperature of 13 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The air quality in Crystal Lake is 72. on a scale of 1, being the worst, to 100. This is good news for seniors who suffer from respiratory issues, such as asthma and COPD.
- The sales tax rate in Crystal Lake is high. At 7.8 percent, it is higher than the national average. The income tax rate, however, is slightly lower than the U.S. average. The state of Illinois exempts almost all retirement income from taxation, including Social Security retirement benefits and income from retirement savings accounts.
- The Crystal Lake area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MercyHealth Crystal Lake South and Centegra Hospital in nearby Woodstock.
Paying for Assisted Living in Crystal Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Crystal Lake start around $3,554 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Crystal Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Crystal Lake
In Illinois, Medicaid does not pay for services in assisted living facilities. There are two Medicaid waiver programs available for financial help. The Medicaid 1915(b) Waiver Program, known as the Supported Living Program, and the Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver Program, called the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports Program, provide assistance with the cost of assisted living for those who qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Crystal Lake
Crystal Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Crystal Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Crystal Lake
Crystal Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Crystal Lake, IL
Other Options in Crystal Lake, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Crystal Lake
Review of Bickford of Crystal Lake
Bickford of Crystal Lake was excellent. They showed me three different sizes of rooms. The whole place was very clean and very well maintained. The staff was very nice. The memory care part was a s... Read more
Review of Bickford of Crystal Lake
Bickford of Crystal Lake was very nice. The woman and the nurse that we had our interview with were so nice. The apartments, the outside, and everything was nice. It just felt a little smaller. It ... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Crystal Lake
Sunrise of Crystal Lake was very good. The administrator I talked to took her time and gave me a tour of the place and introduced me to the staff. It was an overall good impression. The staff was e... Read more