22 Assisted Living Facilities near Dolton, IL
Also serving communities of South Holland.
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the Dolton area, with 1 in Dolton and 21 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 164 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dolton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dolton 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dolton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Dolton, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dolton
Dolton, Illinois, located just outside of Chicago, has a modest population of 22,891, seniors age 55 and older make up 26.5 percent of the total. To accommodate seniors, the Dolton area has 36 assisted living facilities, one in Dolton proper and 34 more located in nearby communities. Assisted living facilities in Dolton, and the rest of Illinois, are licensed and regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dolton
- Dolton seniors can take advantage of the Illinois Department of Aging's Free Ride Permit on any of the Dolton and Chicago area's public transportation systems. This includes Dolton's PACE bus service, as well as buses and trains operated by the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and the Regional Transit Authority. Seniors who need door-to-door transportation can use the PACE bus paratransit service.
- While Illinois is considered tax-friendly for retirees because there's no state income tax, the state does impose a 1 percent sales tax on food and medications. Local sales taxes of up 1.25 percent add to that amount, so seniors could end up paying 2.25 percent sales tax when purchasing necessities.
Dolton's winter weather may be a bit too harsh for some seniors. In January, low temperatures can dip down to 18 degrees, and snow is common. However, the weather the rest of the year is fairly mild. Summer temperatures hover in the low-to-mid-80s, which makes it easy to enjoy outdoor activities.
- Thanks to its proximity to Chicago, Dolton's cost of living is a bit higher than other parts of Illinois. The cost of groceries is 8 percent higher than the national average and 11 percent higher than the state average. However, health-care costs are on par with the state and only 1 percent higher than the national average, which might make it easier for low-income seniors to find affordable options.
- Dolton area seniors should take extra precautions when traveling outside of their community. The city's overall crime rate is 31 percent higher than the national average, which means that Dolton is only safer than 13 percent of the city's in the United States.
- The Dolton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Dolton Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dolton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Dolton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dolton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dolton
In Illinois, seniors who need help covering monthly assisted living costs can apply for two of the state's Medicaid waiver programs — the Supportive Living Program and the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports program. An optional state supplement program is also available to low-income seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dolton
Dolton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dolton, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dolton
Dolton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Dolton, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dolton
Review of Dorchester Senior Center
While in the Dolton area, we made a stop at the Dorchester Senior Center. Even though we didn't have an appointment, the staff was friendly and accommodating. The fountain on the main grounds had n... Read more