2 Assisted Living Facilities in Seaford, DE
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Seaford, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Seaford, DE
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Seaford
Situated at the head of the Nanticoke River, where Captain John Smith began exploring Chesapeake Bay, Seaford, Delaware, has a rich history. To serve the more than 7,000 people living in the city, almost 19% of whom are seniors who may be considering assisted living options, Seaford has two assisted living facilities with two more in the surrounding area of Delmar.
In Seaford and the rest of Delaware, assisted living facilities are licensed by the Division of Health Care Quality.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Seaford
- The Seaford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Nanticoke Health Services, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seaford has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Nanticoke Senior Center, an organization that provides a fitness center, games, activities and social gatherings for members and helps them connect with volunteer opportunities within the community.
- The weather in Seaford is well suited for seniors who are heat sensitive. Summer temperatures rarely get above the high 70s, and winter temperatures average just above freezing. The area does get more rain than average, which may be a concern for seniors with arthritis or other bone and joint issues.
Crime rates in Seaford may be a concern for seniors and their families. The violent crime is almost double the national average, and the property crime rate is 239% higher than the U.S. median. Seniors will want to consult with potential facilities to find out what their safety procedures and protocols are.
- Seaford has a slightly lower overall cost of living, coming in at 96 compared to the national average of 100. However, the state average is 109, which could mean seniors in assisted living in Seaford could see some savings. Healthcare and housing are both lower than the national and state averages, which could also decrease the price of assisted living care.
- The state of Delaware is considered a tax-friendly state for seniors. Social Security income is not taxed and income from pensions and retirement accounts are only partially taxed, which can leave more room in the budget for Seaford seniors.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Seaford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Delaware
Assisted Living costs in Seaford start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Seaford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Seaford
For those who need help paying for assisted living, the state of Delaware offers the Diamond State Health Plan - Plus (DSHP - Plus) program. The Long Term Care Community Services (LTCCS) division of this program helps seniors pay for personal and medical care services while in assisted living, but it does not cover room or board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Seaford
Seaford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Seaford, please visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Seaford
Seaford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Delaware are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page for more information about these laws.