Monticello West

Reviews of Monticello West

Assisted Living Reviews for Monticello West

February 26, 2013

By bluedallas

My mother in-law has lived at Monticello West for almost 1.5 years and we have been extremely happy with the services and care she has recieved. My mother in-law was living at another local facility and we were very dissatisfied with the care she received. She was not treated with dignity and respect and often had trouble getting the assistance she needed from the aides. This has been the complete opposite at Monticello West. All of the employees, which many of them have been working at this facility for many years are very caring and accomidating. One of the reasons we selected Monticello West was due to the staffing ratios and the fact that there is a nurse on every shift. Please make sure you really look at the staffing ratios when looking at facilities. These vary greatly from facility to facility. Many communities only have a nurse 8-10 hours a day and all other times they are "on-call". This is not the case at Monticello West. They have a nurse in the facility 24 hours a day to ensure the residents are taken care of. This gave us peace of mind knowing that in an emergency, a nurse would be available. I would highly recommend visiting Monticello West if you are looking for an assisted living facility as it really is a great place that truly cares about the seniors that live there. Thank you

January 23, 2013

By noname001

My parents have been at Monticello West for just over 2 years now. I am NOT IMPRESSED. It was an amazing sales pitch that we received. "There is no cooking in the individual apartments on this level". "No meals are brought to the apartments, unless special circumstances require, such as illness or bedridden". If no cooking is allowed why did my parent's apartment have a stove and oven. "We'll just disconnect it" was the response to my query. No meals brought into the apartments from the dining room? Bull! My father orders trays brought up regularly for my mother who just refuses to go out. No medical reasons, just doesn't want to. My 82 year old mother has early Alzheimer's and dementia and is a Brittle Diabetic. So she can be quite stubborn at times when she wants. This was the reason for making the decision to move them to an ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY. It became evident, after my mother broke her hip for the second time, that my father could no longer care for her on his own. He has his own health issues as well. I questioned the staff as to general hygiene assistance. "We have ways of encouraging the more stubborn residents". Mom gets a shower maybe twice a week. Her hair only gets shampooed when she is forced to go to the beauty salon on the 2nd floor, maybe once every 2 months, because they won't shampoo it in the shower (mother throws a tantrum when they try). She wears dentures and they are rarely taken care of. Where is the "encouragement" they spoke of? Where is the "care and concern for every individual"? I have monitored the response time for the staff. At one time my mother was suffering from an extreme bout of dementia that lasted nearly 2 months. I was basically living with them for days at a time to care for her because the facility was just not providing the care needed. One evening I had fallen asleep in the chair in the den and heard my mother cry out. I found her on the floor in the bedroom. I pulled the emergency cord to summon an aide to help me get her off the floor. Let me add that she had soiled herself, and the floor, in the process. After 20 MINUTES I finally woke my father up (who is deaf and never heard any commotion) to help me get her off of the floor and into the bathroom to clean her up. Twice my mother's blood sugar levels had plummeted so low that she was in danger of coma. Twice an ambulance was called and paramedics were able to revive her. The staff DID NOT see to it that she even ate at all. The "nurse" has a glucose injection that could have been used and prevented having to call the paramedics. It was NEVER USED! As such, my father has had to pay, out of pocket, for ambulance and paramedic services. My mother's insurance DOES NOT COVER these services unless an overnight stay in the hospital immediately follows. Monticello West KNOWS THIS! As Monticello West states on their website "Licensed nurses on every shift enable Monticello West to provide the extra, professional level of services our residents so richly deserve." Let me correct that statement. THERE IS ONLY ONE, REPEAT, ONE NURSE ON DUTY AT ANY GIVEN TIME FOR THE ENTIRE FACILITY! My sister and I have discussed simply moving them into a regular apartment complex and caring for them ourselves. It would save my father thousands of dollars and my mother would receive the personalized care that was promised and that she deserves. I could go on and on. Don't make decisions based upon what the directors tell you. Talk to the other residents. Talk to the families of the residents. DON'T WALK ... RUN. RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN!

Our team works hard to provide residents with the best support possible and we regret that we did not meet your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further. We would appreciate the chance to discuss your concerns. Please reach out to Ken Wahnschaffe, executive director.

December 19, 2012

By kutepoo21

My Dad moved into this community about 8 months ago and we have nothing but amazing things to say about the care and attention my Dad receives on a daily basis by the amazing care givers. The executive director & managers at this community are extremely accommodating and always take the time to speak to me about my Dad and make sure everything is going well. We get numerous emails from the Executive Director throughout the month keeping us in the loop as to what is going on in the community and we appreciate this with our busy schedules. All of the employees are extremely friendly and accommodating to my Dad's needs which at times can be overwhelming. The life enrichment program keeps my Dad busy throughout the day and there is always something going on. We especially enjoy the Around the World in 80 Day program where the Life Enrichment Director has been profiling a different country every week with a discussion about the country along with food and drink from that part of the world. I have to say I know food can be a topic of conversation at many assisted living communities but the food at Monticello West is very good. We join Dad at the community 3-4 times a week for dinner and we are yet to have anything that has been disappointing to us. The Chef is very accommodating to our requests and truly wants all of the residents to feel like they are eating a meal at a restaurant. The menus that this community puts on for holidays like Father's Day, Easter & Thanksgiving have been amazing and we are now looking forward to our Christmas party. If you are considering an assisted living community in the Highland Park/Park Cities area please stop by Monticello West to visit this amazing community.

November 06, 2012

Monticello West seem nice. The rooms are quite small, but I knew my dad would want a bigger room. The people there seem happy and the common areas were very nice. It was a pretty place, but I knew quite early that it would not be a good place for my dad, primarily because it didn't meet my needs and what we're looking for. I didn't see anything that I thought was problematic. I think a lot of people are very happy there. I would recommend them.

April 13, 2012

By olgimer88

For Years my Grandmother had been extremely self-reliant, but as she got to around 90 years old, she became lost in her own home and sometimes disoriented around others. Finally the time came when it was clear she could not live on her own. My Father and his sisters checked all around Dallas and decided upon Monticello West assisted living in Dallas, TX on McKinney Ave. The place was beyond wonderful and the attendants and staff all seemed to take great pride in their jobs and truly cared for the residents. They made sure she had her favorite foods, magazines, etc, all of the things that meant "Home" to her. She had her own little apartment that really looked as if her living room had transported across town to this facility. She was happy and most importantly she was under the close watch of the attendants and the rest of the staff there. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and management at Monticello West in Dallas, TX. If another member of my family needed assisted living arrangements in later years I would not think twice about having them live at Monticello West.

November 17, 2011

By advocat

Kind attentive care, makes the residents feel like they are on vacation at a comfortable hotel.

May 05, 2011

By Kay Paggi

Other

This is a multiple level community just south of Mockingbird, near SMU. The majority of its residents are from the immediate neighborhoods of Highland Park and University Park. It's owned by a wonderful local company, Telesis!, who own and manage some of the best facilities in Dallas. The building is old and has been updated; it's appearance is gracious. The rooms are various sizes, most with small kitchenettes, some have a view of the inner courtyard. Monticello has residents who are independent, needing little assistance except meals and transportation. Most residents are in assisted living areas. The upper floors are for memory care and for those who need a great deal of assistance, just short of nursing home care. Monticello recently lost its long time activity director, a huge loss. The administrator and many of the staff have been there many years, so there is continuity of staff. For people with a certain background, this is almost ideal. The food is poor. Kay Paggi, GCM, LPC, CGC, MA, is in private practice as a geriatric care manager and is on the advisory board for the Emeritus Program at Richland College. She has worked with seniors for nearly 20 years as a licensed professional counselor, certified gerontological counselor, and certified geriatric care manager.

Independent Living Reviews for Monticello West

Memory Care Reviews for Monticello West

Questions about Monticello West

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Staff are provided monthly in-services.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Monticello West. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age is 85 years old. Our residents are active seniors who enjoy many community activities like Tai Chi, Book Club and outings and field trips.

What places are near Monticello West or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Katy Trail, The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and many local restaurants.

What transportation services does Monticello West offer to assisted living residents?

We provide free transportation within a 10 mile-radius and offer service for scheduled physician appointments. We also provide transportation for outings and life enrichment activities.

What makes the chef or dining program at Monticello West exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We offer a Timeless Fare menu that allows residents to order on demand meals throughout the day. A Bistro menu is available for an additional cost that includes steak and other specialty menu items. Ice cream socials are offered several times a month. Residents enjoy ‘Coffee Chat With the Chef’ and offer their suggestions for the menu.

What safety features or security measures does Monticello West offer to assisted living residents?

A pull cord system is installed in each apartment. Exterior doors are secured with a keypad lock.

How does Monticello West keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Life enrichment director sends photos and updates on activities to family members. Nurse makes routine calls to family and provides wellness updates.

If Monticello West accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Monticello West is a pet-friendly community and offers an enclosed courtyard and exterior spaces for pets.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Staff are provided monthly in-services.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Monticello West. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Monticello West has organized?

Residents enjoy many off-site outings including visits to local restaurants, The Dallas Arboretum, and the theater.

What transportation services does Monticello West offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Monticello West exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Monticello West offers several indoor and outdoor common areas for the comfort and enjoyment of our residents.

What safety features or security measures does Monticello West offer to independent living residents?

Does Monticello West work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Residents have the flexibility to hire home care services that meets their needs.

What safety features or security measures does Monticello West provide to protect residents who wander?

Monticello West residents can reside on a secure floor designed to prevent wandering.

What programs or activities does Monticello West offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our Heartfelt CONNECTIONS™ — a Memory Care program is what makes us stand out from other communities, because it focuses on the capabilities that remain instead of what was lost. We make each moment meaningful, purposeful and create success stories, one small victory at a time. By developing personal relationships with residents and their families, we are able to provide the consistency and familiarity your loved one needs to thrive in a safe and comfortable environment.

The Director of Nursing assesses residents when changes are noticed in the resident’s needs and schedules a care plan meeting with family.

What techniques does Monticello West use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Designed to stimulate the appetite, residents are served their meals on red plates. They are offered finger food options to help them better manage their meals and are offered snacks frequently.

How does Monticello West keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Monticello West. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Monticello West is located a few blocks from Highland Park and nearby many local businesses and convenient restaurants.

Is Monticello West affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

No, Monticello West is not affiliated with a hospital, but several are conveniently located nearby.

Costs for Monticello West

Types of care

• Walking Wheelchair Assistance

• State Licenses: Lic 539

About Monticello West

One of the most unique benefits of Monticello West, is that we bring care to you. You can move throughout your life journey all within familiar surroundings. Start in independent living and as you need it begin receiving assisted living services. Home is home no matter what level of care you need. We truly believe in the importance of aging in place.

Assisted Living Services & Amenities

Residents in our home-like assisted living community enjoy the following services and amenities:

• Three nutritious meals daily
  • Kind assistance with bathing, dressing, and grooming
  • Medication management and reminders
  • Registered nurse on-site 24 hours a day
  • Weekly housekeeping service
  • Personal laundry service
  • Scheduled transportation
  • Life-Enriching Activities

It's our goal for assisted living residents to thrive in our community. For this reason, we offer a variety of life-enriching activities, including:

• A full schedule of activities—7 days a week
  • Music, arts, and crafts programming
  • Spiritual programming
  • Exercise and fitness programs
  • Recreational outings and shopping trips

Supportive Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care in a Comfortable Environment

Independent Living Services and Amenities

At Monticello West, independent living residents enjoy a variety of services and amenities for a carefree lifestyle. The cozy and inviting quality of our independent living community allows residents to immediately feel at home. This gives them a chance to immediately engage in all we have to offer.

Just some of the senior independent living services and amenities we offer include:

• Boutique kitchens with refrigerator and microwave
  • Mini Blinds
  • Step-in Showers
  • Ceiling fans
  • 24-hour security with emergency call systems
  • Three meals a day, seven days a week—all with a choice of entrees
  • Weekly housekeeping service including flat linen service
  • Active event calendar, including social, cultural, and recreational programs
  • Total wellness programs focused on enhancing the mind, body and spirit
  • Multipurpose fitness center
  • Computer lounge
  • Planned outings to local attractions and events
  • Scheduled transportation to grocery store, bank, and medical appointments
  • Pet-friendly apartments
  • Guest accommodations
  • Newly landscaped courtyards

While we know there are many options when it comes to senior living in the Park Cities area, there are some things that you can only find at Monticello West.

At Monticello West, independent living residents enjoy a variety of services and amenities for a carefree lifestyle. But, for individuals needing assisted living or suffering with dementia and in need of additional support, we offer therapies that provide engaging programs designed to enhance our resident’s quality of life.

Map of Monticello West