65 Assisted Living Facilities near Plano, TX
With an average cost of $3,608 in Plano, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 171 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 26 facilities in Plano.
26 Assisted Living Facilities in Plano, TX
39 Assisted Living Facilities near Plano, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Plano
With walking trails, parks, a boardwalk, a thriving arts district, live music and museums, it's no wonder why 23,055 seniors call Plano, Texas home. Some of those seniors may be in need of specialized care and Plano has 26 assisted living facilities available to support them.
In Plano, as in all of Texas, the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services is responsible for the licensing and oversight of assisted living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Plano
- Plano has a low crime rate which may help seniors feel safer at night. The city has a violent crime rate of 13, much lower than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 29.6, slightly lower than the national average of 35.4.
- In all of Texas, including Plano, seniors are not taxed on Social Security benefits, retirement savings account income, public pensions or private pensions, which could result in seniors having more money available for activities and care.
- Plano has poor air quality. The city has a rank of 55 on a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality, three points lower than the national average of 58. Seniors with breathing difficulties might have a hard time living in Plano.
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) doesn't automatically offer free service to people over 65. Seniors must go to the DART Store to have a unique photo ID made for a 50 percent discount on fares. However, the North Central Texas Area Agency on Aging (AAA) provides many other free and low-cost services to seniors, including transportation when using public transit is not an option.
- The summer heat may be an issue for some who aren't accustomed to it, with an average high temperature in July of 94 degrees. However, winters are relatively mild, and snow is rare.
- The Plano area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and Baylor Scott & White The Heart Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Plano
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Plano start around $3,608 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Plano and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Plano
There are some Texas Medicaid waivers available, with the STAR+PLUS HCBS program being the most notable for assisted living. However, there aren't many assisted living facilities in Plano that accept Medicaid, so choice of residence may be limited. Section 8 housing vouchers provided by the Plano Housing Authority through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) may also be an option.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Plano
Plano and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Plano, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Plano
Plano-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Plano, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Plano
Review of Allegro Assisted Living Services (Remington)
Mom has been with Allegro for 1.5 years. Oh my how I love these people...family. Al snd Julia are so kind and have hired some very loving and caring people. I catch them loving on Mom all the time.... Read more
Review of Allegro Assisted Living Services (Remington)
My husband has been in this facility for 2 years now and I cannot recommend this home or this absolutely incredible staff more. He was in a facility prior to our moving him here. The difference... Read more
Review of Cariad at Village Creek
Great community with caring staff and wonderful resident's! The food is EXCELLENT and offers GREAT variety. Read more