The Pointe at Kirby Gate

Reviews of The Pointe at Kirby Gate

Assisted Living Reviews for The Pointe at Kirby Gate

March 19, 2019

By Walter

My dad moved into The Pointe at Kirby Gate and we're happy with the facility. The place is very clean, well-kept and had excellent attendants. They have excellent food and my dad is very happy with the food choices. They have exercise, memory games, and Bingo. His room is a good size and has a good layout. It works for him.

Hi Walter! Thank you for giving us your seal of approval! The perspectives of our residents and their families mean so much to us!

September 29, 2018

By AJ

The Pointe at Kirby Gate is a very welcoming environment. It felt like home. It's small and I love the intimacy and how well the staff knows their residents. I felt like they interacted a lot more frequently with their staff at The Pointe than the other places I visited. I also really love that it is just one story. It's very easy for my grandmother to navigate and not get lost. We love the activities director. He's very positive and encouraging. She's very involved everyday with the exercise as well as the activities. They're also accommodatingng to her loss of hearing, unlike the other places. She is deaf and the other places weren't willing to accommodate that. Several of the staff members have given me their personal cell phones, and it encouraged me to reach out for anything that she needs or that I need concerning her well-being and care. I feel like they just go above and beyond to care for their residents and their well-being. The food is delicious. They have a salon, a library, a place to go and do activities, and a place for exercises. I love the courtyard area, there's a covered porch with comfortable furniture, an area for them to walk around, and a koi pond, all of which is very appealing to my grandmother.

Hi AJ! Thank you for sharing your confidence in us! We appreciate your feedback and are so pleased that your grandmother is enjoying her home here at The Pointe at Kirby Gate!

August 16, 2018

By Rubio

The small family-like environment provided the comfort and care much needed by my mom after the death of my dad, her 67 year companion. Through every transition of declining health, the staff attentively provided what mom needed until her passing on Aug. 8, 2018. As Mom's only surviving daughter, I appreciate deeply how each caretaker, kitchen worker, housekeeper, nurse, and service provider became Mom's (became my) family. Her last breath was taken in room #22. What a gift that was to Mom and to me!

November 27, 2017

By Amy

My mother stayed at The Pointe at Kirby Gate for less than a month. The staff was great, wonderful, polite, and courteous. They had a salon and a courtyard. My mom really liked the experience.

May 11, 2017

By Jeannie227317

The Pointe at Kirby Gate is a lovely, well-maintained place with an 8:1 ratio of patients and staff. My mother loves it there. She is healthier, too. This is a wonderful community because she is able to mix with people in assisted living, memory care, and even hospice when that time would come. It has been a good transition. My mom has her own apartment that she can leave the door open. They keep a very close eye on all the residents with memory problems and keep them very active and healthy, too. I'm very happy with them.

Thank you very much for sharing your confidence in us; we appreciate your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that your mother is enjoying her home here!

April 12, 2017

By Patricia686577

I am not really familiar with assisted living, but The Pointe at Kirby Gate seems to be what we are looking for. The residents seemed to be well taken care of and the staff was wonderful, very informative, helpful, and very friendly. The rooms were nice, clean, and suitable for what we were looking for. The grounds were nice, clean, and well maintained.

Thank you for your review; we appreciate your feedback! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.

March 26, 2016

By Ann122301350

I really liked The Pointe at Kirby Gate and its administrator, but they didn’t have an opening, and I needed a place quickly. The rooms seemed fine.

February 15, 2016

By Caring resident2

Everything is very good at The Pointe at Kirby Gate. The staff is good, the food is excellent, it's nice and clean, and I'm very pleased. They got a bunch of stuff that goes on everyday of the week. They have a patio, but no pool. They do a really good job with everything. They're in for an update of the facility this year; which it needs, too. I was impressed most with the people that I talked to, the people running it as well as the residents. Everybody is really positive about the place. They're super nice people. We're very pleased with it, and they've continued to be that way.

August 27, 2015

Pointe at Kirby Gate was actually my top choice, but they didn't have availability. Their executive director and activities director were great, it was all on one floor, and the rooms were nice enough. They had exercises and trivia; they had stuff going on all the time.

October 10, 2014

By DawnGW

This facility was lovely. Small community, very clean and very friendly staff. Good staff to patient ratio in the assisted living neighborhood. There is a wait list, they only have one staff member that knows basic sign language and it was above our price range.

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We would like to invite you back for a complimentary lunch and tour so that we can learn more about how we can improve our community. Feel free to reach out to me directly at (901) 753-3449 or at mprice@seniorlifestyle.com. Thanks. Melanie Price. Executive Director

September 23, 2014

I was very impressed with Pointe at Kirby Gate and it was close to our neighborhood. I had the people evaluate him, but he did not qualify as he cannot move on his own. I liked it because it was small, and I felt like the people were friendly. I ran into a few of the residents and everybody seemed pretty happy and content. We liked the rooms; they had four styles. The studio was one big room, but it was kind of sectioned off to have the appearance of a separate bedroom -- that was the room I liked -- and it was the smallest which was fine and basic. They had a little small meeting room that they did exercises and it didn't appear as a gym. It was small but I think that’s where they would meet for exercises. They had a little outside patio and a lounge area. Everybody seemed really friendly and homey.

September 10, 2014

By Kim84860850

I went for lunch at The Pointe, and it was nice. The dining room was nice, and the food was good. They also have a memory care unit, but it was a little more expensive. They have a very nice environment. The room was very nice.

August 07, 2014

The Pointe at Kirby Gate was clean. It wasn’t as bright as some of the other places but it had a VERY homey attitude. Everybody was VERY friendly. I like very much the idea that every resident had pictures where people would see who they are, what they’re interested in and what they don’t like. When you went in the kitchen, they had pictures of all the residents on the wall with the listing of problems of the different food so the chef knew exactly what they could and could not deal with. It was very nice and individualized. The residents were really engaged in activities. There was a room of people just having a good time. One resident thought I was her daughter so we talked for a few minutes. They also have outside activities like exercise, church activities and happy hour every Friday. They seldom have a vacancy and I understand why.

July 18, 2014

By Jenny10

My mother moved in to The Pointe at Kirby Gate on July first, and I am really happy with them. Everybody on the entire staff always know how my mother is. I don't care who answers the phone, they always say, "Oh, your mother is at lunch," or "She's doing this and that." She has a 500 square foot studio with a little kitchen, a bath, a nice size closet, big window, and high ceiling. It is very clean and nice. Their activities are amazing. They have had an activities director in there for about 15 years. His name is Tony, and he gets everybody out. I have never seen such an active group of assisted living residents because, you know, sometimes they have problems and donÕt want to be engaged, but he goes in and gets them. The way that they structure their activities blends in with the mealtimes. So, other than people going to take a nap, the people are always engaged.It is really beautiful. It feels like a home. The decoration is really warm, and I really think she will become accustomed to it. It has a very nice lobby. It is all in a square, like a courtyard. So it is very nice, and you will never feel like you are separated. The dining room area is attractive, and the food is excellent.

June 17, 2014

The Pointe was actually nice. I liked that it was small and the staff was engaged with everybody. They were very friendly, very nice, and very open. They just had a water leak, and they were in the process of being rebuilt, but it was very nice. The activities director was the first person who came to us when we were there, and he seemed very friendly. During the number of visits we went by there, we could see the activities director interacting with the residents.

April 28, 2014

By caring020418

I like The Pointe because of its size; it is very small, and the people here are just incredible. My mother’s room is fine. They’re having an Easter party, they do Bingo, and they play all kinds of games. They go shopping, and they had a little city tour the other day.

October 11, 2013

By Darwin

My aunt stayed at The Pointe at Kirby Gate for almost three years before she passed away. She received good care and the staff seemed nice. The residents all looked well-taken care of. The rooms were nice, spacious, very clean and well-appointed. They had a beautiful patio area where the residents could sit and admire the flowers.

Memory Care Reviews for The Pointe at Kirby Gate

September 27, 2016

By Nephew John

My 99-year-old Aunt Sarah recently had to come to The Pointe at Kirby Gate to the memory care unit. I say "had to" because she wasn't anxious to leave her own home. I have several comments: 1) The staff was extremely helpful to us in planning and executing her move. They gave us excellent advice as to what to bring and what not to bring, how to arrange her room to make her most comfortable with her new surroundings, and how to time the move to be the least upsetting for her. They also were very helpful in working out the logistics of moving her things in. 2) The ability (indeed the requirement) that we furnish her room, and the recommendation that it be with things she is familiar with and loves, has helped her make the adjustment quite well. 3) The staff are extremely pleasant and professional, and treat the residents with great respect. 4) During the move-in, we were given the door codes so we could come and go at our pleasure. Beyond the convenience, it gave us reassurance (based on evidence) that things weren't being "hidden" from family when nobody was around. Put another way: no "scheduled" visiting hours. 5) The food is very good -- at least, Aunt Sarah has been eating well and has commented favorably about it. The place is also very clean and always smells clean and fresh. 6) My final point is that, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask the staff. They are always very helpful.
See all Memory Care reviews (5) See fewer reviews

Questions about The Pointe at Kirby Gate

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All staff receive on-going training on dementia care through monthly Relias courses.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at The Pointe at Kirby Gate. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

While we do have some younger and older residents, most of our residents are in their 80s. They enjoy singing and music activities, art, socializing, bingo and other games.

What programs or activities does The Pointe at Kirby Gate offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our residents love that we provide programming that fits their interests and personalities. In our community, we have structured exercises that help keep our residents moving, maintaining strength and balance. We offer art, music and trivia games, enjoy holiday celebrations, and enjoy the laughter or friends at our regular happy hours. The Pointe at Kirby Gate often invites local musicians and volunteers to entertain our residents, but we also go out into the community for live events, dinners, and lunches. Our community also offers opportunities for religious study and worship services for our residents to enjoy each week. At The Pointe at Kirby Gate we go above and beyond to create the type of senior lifestyle our residents love every day!

What places are near The Pointe at Kirby Gate or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Kirby Gate shopping center is just steps away with a Kroger, Walgreens and many restaurants.

What transportation services does The Pointe at Kirby Gate offer to assisted living residents?

We provide free transportation to and from doctor visits.

What makes the chef or dining program at The Pointe at Kirby Gate exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

The Pointe at Kirby Gate is proud of the elevated dining experience we deliver to our residents everyday. Residents enjoy sitting down for meals because it allows them to share stories and laughter over the dinner table. Our dining director and executive chef meet with residents to discuss and incorporate enhancements to the menu, special requests and resident favorites. Our delightful and attentive staff is always available to ensure the residents get their needs met and receive an exceptional dining experience.

What safety features or security measures does The Pointe at Kirby Gate offer to assisted living residents?

The health and safety of our residents is our top priority, which is why we have a specialized air system that is proven to improve indoor air quality and help control pathogens in the air, including COVID-19.

How does The Pointe at Kirby Gate keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We offer constant communication through email and phone calls.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at The Pointe at Kirby Gate during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our staff to resident ratio for Assisted Living is 1:11 and for Memory Care is 1:8

If The Pointe at Kirby Gate accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We have a lovely enclosed outdoor courtyard.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We have monthly all staff meetings/trainings and on-going Relias education for all staff.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Daytime 6 Nighttime - 3

What safety features or security measures does The Pointe at Kirby Gate provide to protect residents who wander?

While we don't have wander guard, all of our Memory Care is secured with alarms on all doors.

What programs or activities does The Pointe at Kirby Gate offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our award-winning embrace Memory Care program is personalized to support the mind, body, and soul of each resident dealing with memory loss. We create holistic experiences that spark both imagination and closeness, while keeping your loved one safe. Services Include: Individual Daily Rhythm Memory Care Programs and Activities Friend and Family Connection Support Secured Courtyard

Our Director of Health and Wellness along with our Memory Care Director assess each resident 1 time per quarter to ensure they are receiving the right level of cara.

What techniques does The Pointe at Kirby Gate use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We offering cueing and other assistance during mealtimes.

How does The Pointe at Kirby Gate keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our Memory Care Director and our Executive Director offer regular emails and phone calls to families.

Describe the neighborhood around The Pointe at Kirby Gate. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located between a business district and a quaint neighborhood in East Memphis.

Is The Pointe at Kirby Gate affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not affiliated with one hospital in particular.

Costs for The Pointe at Kirby Gate

• Staff Patient Ratio: 1 To 12
  • Pets: Yes

• Licenses: Assisted Living

About The Pointe at Kirby Gate

Senior assisted living at The Pointe At Kirby Gate offers residents the best of both worlds. All benefits of our senior living community are combined with a full spectrum of senior care services to create a premier senior assisted living community. Residents enjoy beautiful surroundings, on-site amenities and social programs alongside continual on-call medical care.

At The Pointe At Kirby Gate, we adhere to state-of-the-art standards of senior assisted living while providing a special touch. Our residents receive personal and comprehensive care and are consistently treated with the dignity and respect they deserve. Whether our residents need help with day-to-day activities, getting to appointments, or medication management, our caregivers kindly and competently meet those needs.

Our assisted living community in Memphis has been purposefully designed to provide you or your loved one with a nurturing, comfortable, home-like environment that is attractive and easy to navigate. We foster community and family by hosting many activities and events each month. Residents are encouraged to participate in as many pursuits and outings as they like, appropriate to their ability. No matter what, everyone is treated as an individual person with unique needs.

At The Pointe At Kirby Gate, our residents live life to its fullest as they age in place.

Assisted Living Amenities

• Personalized Care Plans
  • 24-hour Staffing
  • Emergency Response System
  • Scheduled transportation to local shopping and medical appointments
  • Award winning Wellness Everyday™ programs, provided 7 days a week
  • Dining for Wellness™ - educational and wellness program
  • Brain Health University™
  • Beauty and Barber Shop
  • Housekeeping and maintenance service
  • All utilities and basic cable included
  • Individually controlled heat and central air
  • Fresh, seasonal cuisine prepared by the dining service team

We are small (52 apartments), one-storied, very homelike and welcoming. We have assisted living and memory care neighborhoods. Our caregiver to resident ratio is 12:1 in AL and 8:1 in Memory Care. We are built around a beautifully landscaped courtyard that has a walking path, covered patio and a beautiful pond stocked with koi.

Map of The Pointe at Kirby Gate