Saint Margaret Hall

Assisted Living Reviews for Saint Margaret Hall

Nursing Home Reviews for Saint Margaret Hall

March 01, 2017

By VB07342

My father was admitted just before Thanksgiving in 2016 after three short stays in three west side nursing facilities for rehab over the past two years. Admissions staff were helpful and accommodating. My father's finances were such that he would pay privately for two or three months and then turn to Medicaid. Many facilities will tell you that they don't have a Medicaid bed available. St. Margaret Hall him accepted without question. As a surveyor (inspector) for the Ohio Department of Health for 25 years, I spent a great deal of time in southwestern-central Ohio inspecting nursing homes for federal and state regulations. St Margaret has nearly all private rooms with nice views of the city park and surrounding area. We had no problem getting a private room. With respect to the staff of St. Margaret Hall, in all of my experiences and surveys over the past 25 years, never have I met nursing and direct care staff so kind and accommodating. At one point, my father had slid down in his recliner chair in his bedroom. I purposely asked an aide to help me get him repositioned knowing that she was not his assigned aide. Rather than hearing the aide tell me that she would tell my aide or tell the nurse, she stopped what she was doing or gathering supplies for the meal and helped me reposition my father, without question. When I said thank you she stated that it was ok and that it was her job to help. My father was on hospice. It's not customary to provide restorative nursing to a person on hospice. St. Margaret management suggested my father get restorative nursing which involved trained therapy staff assisting him in using his hands for eating and using utensils and in dressing. He not only accepted the therapy he was thriving. Therapy staff also spent time talking to him and helping him to adjust to his new living environment. The restorative staff were great. Another example occurred when I was feeding my father. I noticed he had trouble chewing some of the meat. When I asked the charge nurse if the diet consistency could be changed, she said yes and the diet was changed by the next meal the next day. With respect to the food, my father complained in the three previous nursing homes of cold food, bad taste and cold coffee. He did not complain one time of cold food or coffee or bad tasting food. He gained eight pounds in three months at St. Margaret Hall despite his condition and prognosis. Although his body was failing, his mind was very clear. About a week before he passed away, I asked him "you do like this place (St. Margaret) better than the other places you've been". His response was "Oh yeah". One additional point is that for a strong Catholic like my father, St Margaret could not have been a better fit. The Carmelite Sisters were frequently observed in the hallway and speaking to my father helping him cope with his end of life struggles. My father had the option to attend mass every day in the facilities beautiful chapel. Although he chose only one time, he did receive communion in his bedroom daily. The facility truly has a mission to care for it's residents. As an ex-surveyor and family member of a former resident, I would highly recommend St. Margaret Hall to anyone of any denomination,

July 31, 2015

By Naomi8

Mom is now two years at St Margaret Hall. The number of staff and the pairing of the staff is what I like the most. It’s an older and very simple place. The food seems fine, and we have already recommended this place.

June 18, 2013

By Pathat98

my sister and I decided St Margaret Hall could provide the necessary help our mom needed on a daily basis. Especially as her health declined. That was not to be. The nurses were pretty good but the aides were the ones who provided daily care and they were terrible. Turnover was constant and there was always new aides who had no idea how to take care of the patients. There were never enough of them either. St Margaret Hall's motto is all about love and that couldn't have been farther from the truth. Employees were way too busy to provide any kind of warmth and patience. Not their fault though at least most of them. In 15 months, my mom lost 25 lbs, all independence and passed away. We were told she had some dementia and kept saying that to the end. My sister and I kept questioning Alzheimer's and they said NO! And what did the resident doctor state on her death certificate,,,Alzheimer's! What kind of place is this? Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't put my dog there. Now let me tell you about the end when my mom was dying. Not one nurse, doctor,etc seemed to notice my mom was at "the end"...and this is what they do for a living??? Got to question that over and over. It took me to call hospice twice within a couple of days to say she needed round the clock comfort care. My God! What happens to residents when no family members are around. I can't really imagine a worse facility than St Margaret Hall

Services and Amenities of Saint Margaret Hall

• Overall:
  • Ownership Type: Non Profit Church Related
  • Date Certified: 09/01/2020

• Occupational Therapy

Types of care

• Meal Preparation

About Saint Margaret Hall

Saint Margaret Hall is a senior living provider in Cincinnati, Ohio that offers residents Assisted Living and Nursing Homes. Contact Saint Margaret Hall for more details on services and rates.

Map of Saint Margaret Hall