Despite being only 35 minutes southwest of downtown Chicago, the sparse population and abundance of trees in Palos Heights give a sense that the suburban city is further away from the metropolis. The 2020 census reveals that 29.4% of Palos Heights’ 12,000 residents are aged 65 and older — a figure that’s almost double the national average. The city’s highly regarded Palos Hospital may be a factor in its appeal to seniors, as well as its proximity to Chicago and some of the best medical facilities in the country. The numerous Medicare-registered physicians also benefit the city’s older population.

Nursing homes are care facilities for seniors who require 24/7 support from medical professionals and highly trained care staff. In these facilities, physicians develop personalized care programs for residents which are administered by registered nurses and licensed therapists, with support from nursing aides. A semiprivate room in a Palos Heights’s nursing home costs $8,076 per month. However, more affordable options are available for seniors who don’t require around-the-clock care, such as assisted living and home health care

This guide discusses the costs of various types of senior care in Palos Heights and lists some senior-friendly resources.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Palos Heights, IL

ProMedica Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East)

7850 WEST COLLEGE DRIVE, Palos Heights, IL, 60463

My 92 year old mom passed away at this facility 9 months ago On january 18th 2021. She had lost a good portion of her eyesight within 10 months prior to entering this facility. She then had something … (read more)

ManorCare Health Services-Palos Heights West

11860 Southwest Hwy, Palos Heights, IL, 60463

I have a family member that’s in manor care that’s blind and needs assistance with almost everything. She was admitted on February 13, 2020 and on Saturday, February 15th they did get her up and dres … (read more)

Villa at Palos Heights

12550 South Ridgeland Avenue, Palos Heights, IL, 60463

(read more)
(read more)

Ridgeland Nrsg & Rehab Center

12550 SOUTH RIDGELAND AVENUE, Palos Heights, IL, 60463

Elevate Care Country Club Hills

18200 S Cicero Ave, Country Club Hills, IL, 60478

This place looks nice in the lobby, but the floor that I visited made me sick to the stomach! the carpet was nasty-I mean NASTY. Dirty, stained with GOD know what. Staff was rude as all get out. Relat … (read more)

Franciscan Village

1270 FRANCISCAN DRIVE, Lemont, IL, 60439

Franciscan Village is a Catholic facility located in Lemont, Illinois, which welcomes people of all faiths and is 27 miles from the center of Chicago. Residents express that they’re happy th … (read more)

2012, 2014, 2018

Smith Village

2320 West 113Th Place, Chicago, IL, 60643

Smith Village is beautiful. It almost looks like a resort. I’ve never seen a place that looked that beautiful before in my life. They have private places where residents can go, like fireplace where t … (read more)

Marian Village

15624 Marian Dr, Homer Glen, IL, 60491

Marian Village is a senior community in Homer Glen, Illinois, that is sponsored by the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago, a Catholic order. However, people of all faiths are welcome to reside in these spa … (read more)

Smith Crossing

10501 Emilie Lane, Orland Park, IL, 60467

Smith Crossing is located just off the Orland Parkway and minutes southwest of the Orland Grasslands. Visitors praise the facility’s open layout and the underground parking and are impressed by the ch … (read more)

Symphony Palos Park

12220 South Will Cook Road, Palos Park, IL, 60464

Very disappointed in the facility. It was great when it was Holy Family and Religious women worked there. It has really gone downhill since becoming symphony. I am looking for a new facility. It is … (read more)

Victorian Village Health and Wellness Center

12525 Renaissance Circle, Homer Glen, IL, 60491

My husband went to the rehab section of Victorian Village. It was clean, and he had a large, private room with a TV, a huge bathroom, and handicapped shower. The rooms were in a square around the outs … (read more)

Chateau Center Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

7050 Madison Street, Willowbrook, IL, 60527

We moved my mom into Chateau Center Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, but unfortunately, she passed. She was in long-term care, and she was only there for a week. They were pretty good. They were b … (read more)

Oak Forest Hospital L T C

15900 SOUTH CHICERO AVENUE, Oak Forest, IL, 60452

I had my rehab in Oak Forest Hospital where I stayed for two months. It was a clean and nice facility. Considering that I just had a stroke, everything seemed and appeared to be wonderful. I had no co … (read more)

Lemont Nursing & Rehab Center

12450 WALKER ROAD, Lemont, IL, 60439

My mother is currently doing rehab at Lemont Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. I’m not very fond of it. It sometimes smells a little bit. My mom’s room is ok, and the upkeep is fair, but it’s not as … (read more)

Warren Barr Orland Park

14601 South John Humphrey Dr, Orland Park, IL, 60462

I came into the facility from back surgery at Christ very hopeful of my recovery. My caretaker and her sister brought my belongings in a Harley bag as it would not fit on the ambulance stretcher along … (read more)

Symphony 87th Street

2940 W. 87th Street, Chicago, IL, 60652

My mother moved into Symphony 87th Street. It was convenient for the family to get to her with the location and everything. Some of the staff members are helpful. I don’t think that they give the resi … (read more)

Aperion Care Burbank

5701 W 79th St, Burbank, IL, 60459

I liked Aperion Care Burbank. It was the best one we found, even though they had three beds in the room. The place looked clean. It was the cleanest one. Our issue is that we wanted my friend to have … (read more)

Alden Estates of Orland Park

16450 South 97Th Avenue, Orland Park, IL, 60467

The people I spoke to on the phone were wonderful. The nurses were great. The CA staff found many ways of not caring for the patient. My friend was at the end of a hallway. Only once did a staff p … (read more)

2015

Dimensions Living Burr Ridge

6801 High Grove Blvd., Burr Ridge, IL, 60527

We chose Dimensions Living Burr Ridge for my mom for its location. She’s in their skilled nursing part, and the staff seems very caring and attentive to my mom. She’s on soft food right now. It’s good … (read more)

Avantara Chicago Ridge

10300 Southwest Highway, Chicago Ridge, IL, 60415

The staff here at Avantara Chicago Ridge is very caring and attentive. The rehabilitation is excellent. Their physical therapy and their OT staff are really good. They help me a lot. The menu most day … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Palos Heights, IL

In Palos Heights, the average monthly cost for a semiprivate room in a nursing home is $8,076, while a private room costs $8,532.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

To compare nursing home costs in Palos Heights with other cities in Illinois, this guide uses the average fees for semiprivate rooms published in the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey. This finds that seniors in Palos Heights pay about $1,841 more per month than the typical Illinoisan and $320 more than the average American. More affordable cities are within a reasonable distance, such as Rockford, at $5,825, Kankakee, at $6,540, Peoria, at $6,737, and Bloomington, at $6,996.

$8076

$6737

Peoria

$6996

Bloomington

Note: Data for Palos Heights was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Chicago, was used instead.

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

When determining if nursing home care is appropriate, it’s worth comparing the cost of other types of care available in Palos Heights. The most affordable is adult day care, at $1,614 per month, followed by assisted living, at $4,950. Care at home is slightly more costly, with home care fees averaging $4,957, and home health care services averaging $5,053. Since nursing homes provide 24-hour care from licensed medical professionals, their costs are typically the highest, with semiprivate rooms costing $8,076, and private rooms averaging $8,532 per month.

$4957

Adult day health care

$4950

Assisted living

$8076

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8532

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Palos Heights, IL

Free Resources for Seniors in Palos Heights, IL

The following resources in Palos Heights and Cook County can help seniors and their family members with the transition to nursing care or provide services and supports that allow them to continue living independently in their own homes.

Resource

Contact

Service

Seniors, their families and third parties who have concerns about the quality of care in an Illinois nursing home should contact the long-term care ombudsman. The ombudsman's purpose is to ensure residential care residents are fully aware of their rights and supported if their care facility isn't operating to a high standard. Examples of where an ombudsman can help include the facility not complying with staff-to-resident ratios, seniors being transferred without consultation and food being of poor quality.

Pathlights is a nonprofit organization that supports adults aged 60 and older, the disabled and caregivers in Palos Heights. Its purpose is to help the city's residents age with dignity in their homes or residential care facilities. Examples of its many programs include home-delivered meals provided to housebound seniors who are unable to cook for themselves and caregiver respite services to provide unpaid caregivers with much-needed recuperation time. Pathlights also operates the Choices for Care program, which aims to help seniors find alternatives to hospital care whenever possible.

AgeOptions is the Area Agency on Aging for suburban cities in Cook County. It operates an abundance of services and programs for seniors. These include memory cafés for people with early-stage dementia, Uniper, a virtual senior center for those unable to attend personally, and a benefits enrollment center to help residents access benefits to which they're entitled. AgeOptions also supports minorities, such as the LGBT+ community and low-income caregivers helping the city's African-American and Latinx residents.

PACE Dial-A-Ride is a subsidized paratransit service for the disabled and seniors living in Palos Township. It operates Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., taking riders on journeys up to 5 miles outside the township's borders. Fares are $2 per trip.