Brookdale Northbrook

Reviews of Brookdale Northbrook

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Northbrook

April 29, 2015

By Phyllis41

Brookdale was lovely, and I liked it. The whole crew is marvelous, they can’t do enough for you, and the apartments were beautiful. Everything about it was great, and the food was good. They have a full kitchen in the apartments. The dining room was beautiful; they have a café and a private dining room. They have wonderful exercises, games, tours, lectures, entertainment, outings, and card rooms. They have doctors and nurses. The help was impressive, it is secure, and they have 200 people there.

September 24, 2013

By Charlotte13

The staff was very nice and wonderful. When I walked in, a woman told me it was a great place. I was not able to eat there, but their dining room was nice. I liked how their different activity rooms were set up. I also like that the cars were park not too far from the building. However, I didn't like set up of the apartments. The bedroom and the bathroom were both very large, but the living room was small.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Northbrook

December 01, 2021

By Laurie

Brookdale Northbrook was very nice. I like the setting where it was located. It's right within a townhome subdivision so it's not in an industrial area, which was nice. If you wanted to take a walk outside and walk through the neighborhood, it was lovely. We were able to have lunch there, and the food was very good so that was a plus. We looked at the independent living and the staff showed us 2 apartments and it didn't have the finishes that I would have liked. It wasn't as nice as the place that we'd put our deposit down in. The building itself just wasn't as updated as I would have liked either. I just don't feel that I could have been happy living there. It had the services that my husband needed, but so does the place where we've put our deposit down. She showed us an apartment and we were looking for a 2-bedroom and 2-bath. The only issue was as soon as we walked in, I could hear the noise from the highway. It was in the location that was upon the highway, and I couldn't live with the noise. I wouldn't be able to have my windows open so I didn't like this aspect of it. They didn't have another apartment which was a 2-bedroom, 2-bath and in another location, that would face the back of the townhome subdivision or the gardens, which was quiet. They didn't have anything like that at all. What they have that I liked was they had this thing that when later on, if my husband would have needed assisted living, they have an apartment where you could start as independent living and if you need assisted living, you can stay in the same apartment. You wouldn't have to move again. But there was a waiting list for that, and so there was nothing available. I think they would have to put in nicer finishes in the apartments. There was a service too that they offered where you could have your car valeted, but there was a fee for it. It was something like $40 a month but in the location that we've put our deposit down, the service was free. We didn't have to pay anything. Also, my husband is a veteran and the place we've chosen will be taking off 7% of the rent that we have to pay for his portion every month. At Brookdale Northbrook, they don't do that. What they do is they put my husband's picture on the wall, a picture from him when he was in the service. I think the 7% off would be a lot more beneficial to people than having your picture put on the wall.

We appreciate you taking the time to visit and share your feedback. We are committed to quality service and care and will review your feedback with our management team.

December 15, 2020

By Barb K.

my mother is a resident - her apartment is very nice - very clean - staff is great - newsletter each day keeps the family abreast of facility details - especially during Covid- would highly recommend this community.

December 01, 2020

By Paula Rodi

My mom has lived at Brookdale Northbrook indecent living for a few years. I will be forever grateful to this loving Community. Mom chose a one bedroom apartment. The space is very inviting, with a living room , kitchen and bathroom. There are 3 large closets and the apartment is designed well for the residences. I have never heard any negative comments from any residents about their homes. Brookdale is welcoming. From the minute you walk in you are greeted by a friendly competent person at the front desk, who knows every residents name. The facility is well maintained and inviting. I have never met a more caring and concerned staff. From the director to the maintenance crew, you won’t find a more dedicated, caring group of people. They listen to all the residents concerns. There are weekly chats available for residents to discuss everything from menus, activities general concerns etc.. Given these crazy times my review will focus on the handling of the pandemic because that’s where we are. Brookdale Northbrook was quick to respond to safety measures. It is amazing to me when a watch the numbers in other senior communities soar, Brookdale kept the numbers to staff and residents to almost zero. Employees and residents are monitored daily with temperature taking. Accommodations are made and changed as Illinois requirements change. When allowed, activities took place with limited numbers fro current events, exercise, bingo, WiFi bowling to name a few. (When not in Covid there were many activities, lectures, food demos etc.) When on shut down the activities are made available on a Brookdale channel where activities, lectures, movies etc are streamed. Meals were delivered to rooms when the dining room closed but opened on a limited bases when it was safe, and closed again when it wasn’t. Visitors were given the opportunity to visit, through windows, outside when it was safe and on a limited bases inside when it was safe. The activities staff are available with devices to help residents connect for Zoom, FaceTime, etc for family events, religious services a quick hello to name a few. I could go on but just wanted to give a feel. I do not live near my mom, I am in California. I can’t explain what peace Brookdale has given me. I know my mom is safe and well cared for. As her needs change they adapt to her care. I will never be able to thank this community enough. They will always be heroes to me.

April 26, 2020

By Sandy Gubin-Luskin

Brookdale of Northbrook is the second senior community our father has lived at. It has exceeded our expectations. Director. Steve S., as well as, directors of the residents, activities, dining room, exercise, transportation, maintenance, and receptionist exhibit “beyond business as usual.” daily. The community is well kept, It’s bright atmosphere makes it very welcoming for family and friend visits. All staff treat the residents with extreme compassion, dignity and humor. Placing a parent into senior living is one of the most difficult times. Thank you, Brookdale of Northbrook, each and every staff member, for helping make the transition a happy one. Bob G & Family

April 18, 2020

By Weinfam

If you are looking for a place with a very attentive and caring staff, this is it!! I love that it is not a huge place. Everyone in the staff knows my mom and I love that!!

June 24, 2019

By Sheila

We found Brookdale Northbrook, but we have not moved in yet. The staff was just wonderful, very accommodating, the living atmosphere is very nice, and laid out very well. They have activities on the main floor, they have speakers, trips, exercise, and art activities. The apartment is very lovely, two-bedroom, and clean. We had a meal in a lovely dining area, and their food was excellent.

May 11, 2016

By Selma3

Brookdale Northbrook was the nicest of all the places I've visited. It was very clean, but they did not have a gym. The dining area was nice and big.

Questions about Brookdale Northbrook

What transportation services does Brookdale Northbrook offer to assisted living residents?

Church transportation, Glenbrook Hospital, Mall Shopping at Golf Mill, Library, Various grocery stores.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Northbrook exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We have optimum life options which are low in sodium, Brookdale Signature spices, variety of three specials every day, and also Brookdale “Fresh to Table” program which means no canned vegetables, etc. Home-made soups are a resident and staff favorite.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Northbrook offer to assisted living residents?

All resident are required to wear a safety pendant, emergency pull cords, CNA staff 24 hours and nurse staff on call 24 hours/day

How does Brookdale Northbrook keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Lucy, our Director of Nursing for AL is very involved in ongoing communication with resident families.

If Brookdale Northbrook accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Brookdale is pet friendly! We are nestled into a quiet neighborhood with a lot of room to walk animals. We also have pet care services available within the community.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All Brookdale associates receive ongoing training through monthly all associate meetings and online continuing education courses.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale Northbrook. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents are highly educated and enjoy continuing education, theatre, cultural events, and day trips

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Golf Mill Shopping Center North Shore Senior Center Chicago Botanical Gardens Glenbrook Hospital

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale Northbrook has organized?

River’s Casino Outing, Lincolnshire Theatre, National Museum of the American Sailor, Veterans Art Museum, Holiday Inn at Marriott Theatre

What transportation services does Brookdale Northbrook offer to independent living residents?

We have a weekly transportation schedule which includes: Church pick up and departure, Glenbrook Hospital, Walgreens and Jewel, Golf Mill Shopping, Public Library and Scenic Drives

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Northbrook exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Brookdale's dining philosophy of “Just say yes” allows us to accommodate even the pickiest of eaters by always making a commitment to provide something to offer as a meal to our residents that will satisfy their tastes.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Brookdale Greenhouse, Outdoor walking path and seating areas, gym, full service salon, Kenicott activity room, library, dining room, seating areas throughout community and common areas

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Northbrook offer to independent living residents?

We have a daily wellness call in the morning, an emergency pull cord in the residence and every IL resident now receives a safety pendant which works throughout the building.

Yes. We do allow pets. Pets can walk outside on the sidewalks and common areas on a leash

Does Brookdale Northbrook work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We have our own Brookdale Home health nurses in house. We also offer personalized living services, which are a la carte items of additional care that can be provided to independent living residents to allow them to age in place.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Northbrook provide to protect residents who wander?

All Assisted Living residents are required to sign in and out and nursing staff and CNA staff are there 24 hours. It is important to note we do not offer memory care here.

Costs for Brookdale Northbrook

• Low Salt
  • Renal

• Spanish

About Brookdale Northbrook

Brookdale Northbrook provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Our Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Northbrook