45 Assisted Living Facilities near Tacoma, WA
There are 45 Assisted Living Facilities in the Tacoma area, with 23 in Tacoma and 22 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Tacoma is $4,014 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include University Place with an average starting cost of $3,850.
To help you with your search, browse the 176 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tacoma. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tacoma 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include University Place with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Tacoma find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tacoma, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Tacoma, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tacoma
Tacoma is a port city on the Puget Sound in western Washington. This birthplace of Bing Crosby is known as the “City of Destiny” as it became the westernmost terminus of the North Pacific Railroad in the late 1800s. In Tacoma, seniors account for approximately 12.8 percent of the population and are accommodated by 58 assisted living facilities (ALFs) in and around the city. These communities provide homes for independent seniors while offering help with daily activities and medication management and are regulated by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tacoma
- The cost of living in Tacoma is 12.9 percent higher than the U.S. average. This is primarily due to above average real estate costs, with health care, grocery and transportation costs only slightly above national medians.
- Winters in Tacoma can be very cold and wet, with average temperatures in January falling to around 35 degrees Fahrenheit. The city gets approximately 41 inches of rain per year, slightly above the U.S. average of 39. Summers are warm, dry and pleasant with average temperatures around 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Washington has no state income tax, so income from Social Security in Tacoma is tax-free, which leaves more money for seniors looking for assisted living in the city.
- In Tacoma, seniors who do not drive can get around the city on the Pierce Transit bus system where they can ride all day on one reduced fare ticket. The Lighthouse Senior Center and the Beacon Senior Center provide vans for registered seniors who need transportation.
- Tacoma has a thriving arts community with public and performance art including six major museums. It is also home to three different wineries. Metro Parks Tacoma’s STAR Center offers day trips to local destinations along with senior dances, group fitness and workshops.
- The Tacoma area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MultiCare Tacoma General, St. Joseph Medical Center and MultiCare Allenmore Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tacoma
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Tacoma start around $4,014 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tacoma and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tacoma
Seniors residing in Washington can apply for financial assistance for assisted living through a few Medicaid programs. The Medicaid Personal Care (MPC) program and the Community First Choice Option (CFCO) provide financial support for personal care assistance and costs other than room and board. Washington also offers seniors Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid Waivers including the Washington Medical COPES (Community Options Program Entry System) Waiver for additional funding for assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tacoma
Tacoma and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tacoma, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tacoma
Tacoma-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Tacoma, WA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tacoma
Review of Narrows Glen
I took a tour at Narrows Glen for my mother, and they were very accommodating. The rooms were very nice. The staff was also very nice and very accommodating. I didn't really see many activities, it... Read more
Review of Kings Manor
Kings Manor was really nice. They didn't have any two-bedrooms, but they have a wonderful dining area. One of the things that I was impressed with about the staff there is that the staff does not t... Read more
Review of The Arbor Rose Adult Family Home, LLC
I feel very fortunate my Mother was a resident of Arbor Rose. Tammy and her staff provided a loving and safe environment. Home cooked meals, fun activities and parties only added to the professi... Read more