26 Assisted Living Facilities near Lakewood, WA
There are 26 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lakewood area.
To help you with your search, browse the 102 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lakewood. Better rated regions include University Place with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lakewood, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lakewood, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lakewood
Located in Pierce County, Lakewood, Washington sits alongside the Puget Sound, which provides plenty of activities for seniors who enjoy the outdoors. The lack of tax on Social Security, pensions and retirement accounts make Lakewood an excellent place for seniors to call home.
Retirement accommodations are available at the one assisted living community located near the center of town and at the 57 other communities located nearby in places like Federal Way, Gig Harbor and Milton. Referred to as assisted living facilities (ALFs), these communities are regulated by the Washington State Department of Social Services on matters like staff training, personal care assistance, medication management, safety and security.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lakewood
- Seniors may obtain transportation to and from doctor’s appointments and for other errands through the Pierce Transit System. Several local senior centers have vans that offer transportation for scheduled shopping trips and to local stores, including the Lakewood Community Center.
- The Lakewood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Franciscan St. Care Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Lakewood has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Center for Independence, an organization that provides services to seniors with disabilities, and at least four senior centers.
- Seniors living on a budget may have a difficult time affording Lakewood as the cost of living is higher than in comparable cities in the United States. It is slightly lower than other cities in the state.
- On a scale from one (low) to 100 (high), Lakewood ranks 64.5 for violent crime and 58.2 in relation to property crime; figures that are significantly higher than the national average of 31.1 for violent crime and 38.1 for property crime.
- Mild summer temperatures make Lakewood an excellent place to live for seniors who prefer to avoid the heat. The average high in July is around 75 degrees Fahrenheit, while the average low in January is around 35 degrees Fahrenheit. The city gets an average amount of rain each year with approximately 41 inches and an average of three inches of snow.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lakewood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Lakewood start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lakewood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lakewood
Seniors who need assistance paying for an ALF in Lakewood may be eligible for help through the state Medicaid Waiver Program. Also referred to as the Community Options Program Entry System (COPES), this program pays for personal care, including some types of nursing assistance for those living in private apartments. Families may supplement the Medicaid assistance as needed to pay for additional types of care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lakewood
Lakewood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lakewood, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lakewood
Lakewood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.