60 Assisted Living Facilities near Gig Harbor, WA
Also serving communities of Allyn.
There are 60 Assisted Living Facilities in the Gig Harbor area, with 6 in Gig Harbor and 54 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Gig Harbor is $3,672 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,495. Cheaper nearby regions include Tacoma with an average starting cost of $2,927.
To help you with your search, browse the 279 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Gig Harbor. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Gig Harbor 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include University Place with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Gig Harbor, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Gig Harbor, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor is a city located along the shore of the Puget Sound in Pierce County, Washington. It is often referred to as one of the cities known as the Gateway to the Olympic Peninsula. The city provides easy access to the larger cities of Tacoma and Seattle, and according to South Sound Business, it is considered to be one of the state’s safest places to retire.
Assisted living facilities offer seniors a variety of places to live in the area. There are five facilities within the city limits and 53 close by in places like Tacoma, Milton and Federal Way. These facilities are regulated by the Washington State Department of Social Services, and they provide personal care services, including administering medications.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gig Harbor
- The Key Peninsula Senior Ride Program provides transportation for seniors living in Gig Harbor. Door-to-door rides are offered if they are scheduled at least seven days or more in advance. Riders must be at least 60 years of age, and services are available for doctors’ appointments, grocery shopping and other essential destinations.
- The Gig Harbor area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the St. Anthony Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Gig Harbor has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Active Retirement and Senior Club of Gig Harbor, an organization that provides a variety of activities to keep seniors engaged and healthy, as well as at least six senior centers.
- The cost of living in Gig Harbor is much higher than comparable cities within the state. It is also higher than the national average. This may be an issue for seniors looking for a place to retire on a budget.
- The rate of crime in Gig Harbor averages 58 percent higher than the rest of Washington. However, the occurrence of violent crime was 13 percent less than the national average.
- Gig Harbor offers seniors a moderate climate throughout the year. Summer highs are around 75 degrees, while winter lows are around 36. The area receives approximately 44 inches of rain per year and 2 inches of snow.
Paying for Assisted Living in Gig Harbor
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Gig Harbor start around $3,672 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Gig Harbor and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gig Harbor
Seniors who need financial assistance paying for assisted living in Gig Harbor can find help through the state's Medicaid Waiver program called the Community Options Program Entry System (COPES). This program pays for personal care, including the administration of medication. It also covers some types of nursing care for individuals living in private apartments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Gig Harbor, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Gig Harbor, WA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Gig Harbor
Review of The Lodge at Mallard's Landing
We liked The Lodge at Mallard's Landing the most, and if we had to pick out a place it would be this one. We liked that we could move my mom into a place that looks like what she has now, so the tr... Read more
Review of Penrose Harbor
Penrose Harbor had rehab or physical therapy when my mother was there. It was really nice, but their room size was too small for the value. Our overall experience there was very good, I really like... Read more
Review of The Lodge at Mallard's Landing
When faced with a crisis situation for my elderly father, and after dozens of phone calls seeking help, The Lodge at Mallard’s Landing was a direct gift from God for me. They immediately responded ... Read more