23 Assisted Living Facilities near Spanaway, WA
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Spanaway area, with 3 in Spanaway and 20 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 83 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Spanaway. Better rated regions include Puyallup with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Spanaway, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Spanaway, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Spanaway
For a small town, Spanaway, Washington, has a lot for the area’s 27,227 residents, including the senior population of 2,497, to do, such as visiting Old McDebbie’s Farm, spending some time at Debbie DoLittle’s Indoor Petting Zoo, riding on the Gig Harbor Gondola, or visiting the area museums. The city also has a Fantasy Lights display at Spanaway Lake every holiday season.
Seniors who are thinking about assisted living have three facilities to choose from in Spanaway, with 21 more located in the nearby towns of Tacoma, Puyallup and University Place. In Spanaway and in all of Washington, these facilities are governed by The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Spanaway
- Seniors in Spanaway may find that they have more money available to contribute toward their expenses due to Washington’s tax-friendly laws for seniors. The state does not tax seniors on pensions, retirement savings account withdrawals or pensions.
- The cost of living in Spanaway is 123.4, notably lower than both the Washington average of 131.1 and the U.S. average of 100. Groceries and transportation are higher than the national average at 100.4 and 141.3, respectively, which might be something for seniors on fixed incomes to keep in mind. Seniors can expect to pay less for healthcare here than they would elsewhere in the state or country, which could be good news for seniors with chronic healthcare issues.
- Seniors with respiratory issues may find their symptoms worsen in Spanaway. The city has an air quality rating of 50, eight points lower than the national average of 58.
- The Spanaway area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Tacoma.
- Spanaway’s property crime rating at 51.2, much higher than the national average of 35.4, might be a deterrent for family members hoping to relocate to the area to be closer to a loved one in assisted living. The city’s violent crime rating is only 16.3, considerably lower than the national average of 22.7, which may help seniors feel more comfortable when visiting area attractions.
Temperatures in Spanaway range between 35 and 76 degrees, which might make this city an ideal location for seniors who dislike extreme heat or cold.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Spanaway
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Spanaway start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Spanaway and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Spanaway
Seniors on fixed incomes in Spanaway may be able to get some help with their assisted living expenses through one of Washington’s programs including the COPES Program, the Medicaid Personal Care, the Community First Choice program or the New Freedom Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Spanaway
Spanaway and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Spanaway, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Spanaway
Spanaway-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.