21 Assisted Living Facilities near Kingwood, TX
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kingwood area, with 7 in Kingwood and 14 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kingwood is $4,029 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Porter with an average starting cost of $2,900.
To help you with your search, browse the 106 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kingwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kingwood 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Porter with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Kingwood find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kingwood, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kingwood, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kingwood
Kingwood, which has been dubbed a Livable Forest, is a sprawling master-planned community in the city of Houston. This community is most noted for its towering shade trees, particularly pines and magnolias, which draw a variety of wildlife. In 2005, the community was home to about 65,000 residents. In Houston, about 10 percent of the population of 2.3 million people is aged 65 and over. There are 20 assisted living communities in the Kingwood region, including six in Kingwood proper.
In Kingwood, as in all of Texas, there are three different types of assisted living communities licensed by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services. These include single-occupancy assisted living apartments, double-occupancy residential care apartments and residential care non-apartments.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kingwood
- Texas has relatively high sales and property taxes, but the state doesn't impose a state income tax. Retirees keep the entirety of all retirement income, including Social Security benefits, pension income and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts, which may help to offset other taxes in Kingwood.
- Public transportation in Kingwood is provided by Metro, which operates several bus and metrorail routes throughout the region. Seniors age 65-69 receive a half-priced fare, and those age 70 and over enjoy free fare. Metro also provides METROLift transportation for seniors with mobility aids.
- In Houston, where Kingwood is located, the overall cost of living is a little less than 5 percent higher than state and national averages. This is primarily due to transportation-related expenses, including gasoline and auto insurance. Housing, groceries, healthcare and utilities all cost a little less than the national median, which may appeal to retirees on fixed incomes.
- Summers in Kingwood are hot and oppressive, with muggy conditions and highs in the mid-90s, which may be a concern for seniors who are sensitive to heat. Winters are comfortable, however, with January highs in the low-60s.
- The air quality in Kingwood is subpar, which may be a concern for seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions. The American Lung Association gave Harris County, where Kingwood is located, an F for ozone pollution and a C for short-term particle pollution.
- Houston, where Kingwood is located, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kingwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Kingwood start around $4,061 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kingwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kingwood
Low-income seniors in Kingwood may be eligible to receive financial assistance for services received in a licensed assisted living facility or adult foster care home through STAR+PLUS, a Texas Medicaid managed care program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kingwood
Kingwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kingwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kingwood
Kingwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Kingwood, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kingwood
Review of Southwestern Care Assisted Living
My dad was at this facility for just under two months. Although they say cameras are in place throughout, I am not sure that the owners or whoever is in charge here, really knows how the residents... Read more
Review of Landon Ridge – Kingwood
Landon Ridge was decorated very formal, which made it look old. I didn't like that they had two dining rooms, and I didn't like that when we were there we only saw three or four people. I also didn... Read more
Review of Reunion Court of Kingwood
Not enough staff, my aunt had to wait over 2 hours for help to the bathroom, unhealthy dietary choices, tenants left unattended at meal times, staff not properly trained to transfer patients, build... Read more