15 Assisted Living Facilities near Highlands, TX
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Highlands area, with 2 in Highlands and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Highlands is $2,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 47 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Highlands. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Highlands 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include La Porte with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Highlands, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Highlands, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Highlands
Highlands, Texas, is a small town nestled along the banks of the San Jacinto River, near the Gulf of Mexico. It's a suburb to the east of busy Houston, close enough for big-city conveniences and far enough on the outskirts to preserve its small-town charm. The Rio Villa Nature Trail and Bear Lake offer plenty of outdoor activities for the nature-loving senior. Despite its modest population of 7,500, 11.8 percent of the Highlands population are aged 65 and over. There are two assisted living facilities in the Highlands community, with another 94 in the city of Houston. Texas assisted living facilities are regulated by the Department of Health and Human Services and classified and licensed based on residents' abilities to evacuate the facility in an emergency and whether night time attendance is necessary.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Highlands
- South Texas has long, hot summers and mild winters. July high temperatures average 92 degrees, while January lows average around 44. Seniors with health conditions alleviated by warm weather will find relief here. The proximity of Highlands to the Gulf of Mexico makes it vulnerable during hurricane season.
- The cost of living in Highlands is 100.2, compared against the national average of 100. Housing is 20 percent lower and grocery and the cost of healthcare is about the same. Transportation costs are significantly higher, bringing the overall cost of living higher.
- Violent crime rates in Highlands are notably higher than the national average, while property crimes are slightly higher. Most assisted living facilities have security systems, though seniors are still advised to secure their possessions.
- Seniors in Highlands may make use of the Harris County regional transit service which has both light rail and bus lines. Para-transportation and reduced rates for seniors are available.
- This area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Houston Medical Hospital and St. Luke's Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Highlands, as a suburb of Houston, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Highlands
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Highlands start around $2,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Highlands and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Highlands
Seniors who receive SSI income or Medicaid or Medicare benefits may be eligible for assisted living financial aid from the state of Texas. Texas offers the STAR+PLUS Medicaid program, a waiver that helps cover the costs of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Highlands
Highlands and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Highlands, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Highlands
Highlands-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Highlands
Review of Mountbatten House
I love this place and the concept behind the place. Mounbatten House is a non-profit organization and it does fundraisers behind the scenes to keep the cost so cheap. There are no hidden fees-meani... Read more
Review of Mountbatten House
We visited this facility and were very impressed with the home like atmosphere and friendliness of the staff. After looking at several others in the area, our mom chose Mountbatten and will be mov... Read more
Review of Mountbatten House
I thought Mountbatten House was too small and too close to the major road. The people were nice. I think they had some recreational activities, but I wasn't really impressed, so we didn't spend a l... Read more