31 Assisted Living Facilities near Chattanooga, TN
Also serving communities of Signal Mountain, Whitwell.
There are 31 Assisted Living Facilities in the Chattanooga area, with 20 in Chattanooga and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Chattanooga is $3,048 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include East Ridge with an average starting cost of $2,800.
To help you with your search, browse the 190 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Chattanooga. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Chattanooga 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include East Ridge with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Chattanooga find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Chattanooga, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Chattanooga, TN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chattanooga
Known as the "Scenic City," Chattanooga is surrounded by mountains and known for its easily accessible outdoor activities. The city has almost 180,000 residents, 15 percent of whom are 65 years or older.
In Chattanooga and throughout Tennessee, assisted living facilities are classified as either assisted care living facilities (ACLF) or residential homes for the aged. The two options are somewhat similar, but ACLFs typically offer a higher level of care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chattanooga
- The overall cost of living in Chattanooga is 8 percent lower than the national average, and many common staple purchases for seniors, such as utilities and groceries, cost less in Chattanooga than in a typical U.S. city. That said, seniors with high medical bills may want to look into Chattanooga's health care costs, which are listed as being substantially higher than average.
- Compared to residents of most Southern cities, Chattanooga residents enjoy more distinctive seasons. Summertime temps peak in the high 80s, and winter lows average about 29. It does snow, but not much. The city averages about 2 inches of snow per year.
- Chattanooga has a violent crime rate of 50.3 out of 100 (100 is worst) and a property crime rate of 83 out of 100 . Safety-conscious seniors may want to be aware that these numbers are significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4.
- The air quality in Chattanooga is about 10 points lower than the national average. This difference, while not substantial, is worth noting for seniors with asthma or other breathing difficulties.
- The Chattanooga area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Erlanger, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Chattanooga is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Chattanooga
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Tennessee
Assisted Living costs in Chattanooga start around $3,048 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chattanooga and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chattanooga
Tennessee provides coverage for services at assisted living facilities through its Medicaid CHOICES waiver program. Room and board fees are not covered through this waiver, but they are capped at 80 percent of three times the current federal SSI benefit rate.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chattanooga
Chattanooga and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Chattanooga, please visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chattanooga
Chattanooga-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Tennessee are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Chattanooga, TN
Other Options in Chattanooga, TN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Chattanooga
Review of Summit View
I’m a relative of a current resident. My loved one has lived at Summit View for the past three and half years. The staff has been very helpful with her during her time there. The facility direct... Read more
Review of Summit View
My mother has had excellent respectful care at Summit View! She has improved in health and cognition due to their care! They truly care for their clients and go above and beyond! Read more
Review of Southern Oaks Assisted Living
Southern Oaks Assisted Living is very nice. My grandmother has excellent care, gets three meals a day, and there are activities there. It's one of the best senior communities I have ever been in. S... Read more