Brookdale Hixson

Reviews of Brookdale Hixson

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Hixson

January 29, 2015

By Wanda21

Wellington Place is nice, and I really liked it. It is smaller, and it had a more homey feel to it. The way they had it laid it out, my mother might get lost in the hallways. All of the hallways will lead back to a central area. They have been very good to mom. They took excellent care of her. They have wonderful programs to keep them busy like physical therapy and things that she can do to stay on her feet. I like the people, and the food is good. I'm satisfied with it.

September 26, 2014

By Caring81906750

It felt like the Wellington Place was a warm atmosphere, very homey, and I felt that the care was good. The place is very clean and easy to get to. My mother's got a studio and I think it is very nice. She cannot see very well and I think the room is perfect for her since it is a larger studio. But she doesn't like the food. She does the exercises, goes to the music events, and she has gone on some of the outings. I think they need to cater more to having a heated burger on the side or something similar, so that if you didn't like what they were cooking, you could have something beside what they made.

March 26, 2014

If she was moving into a facility, Wellington Place could have been my choice. They only had 43 residents, so their resident counsel is everybody rather than a representative. The residents went out of their way to talk to me. It's also smaller and the set up is neat. The staff was really nice. They have a daughter's club, a support group. When you sit at the table, then you order from the menu. You don't need to plan a week ahead. But the rooms were pretty much standard, I think it doesn't have any differences than the others in terms of square feet, etc. I like this the best.

December 19, 2013

By JoeT

My mother has been a resident her for several years. The new director is doing a great job. She has proved to be wise at replacing employees, most recently a new and talented cook...which is huge. I feel safe knowing Mom has a entire staff that is considerate and caring. Rare in this world.

November 25, 2013

By Linda74645950

Wellington Place of Hixson was clean. I didn't detect any odor when I walked in. It was also secure. The lady I was visiting there had good things to say about it. She said that if she couldn't be at home, then that was a good place to be. I had only seen only one room and I would say that it was average in size.

November 21, 2013

By Sylvia11

Everybody at Wellington Place was really nice. The lady that we talked to was very informative of everything. It was clean and well kept. However, price wise, it was just too expensive for what we were looking for. The rooms we saw didn't have a kitchen. They had a lot of things for the residents to do.

August 14, 2013

I'm living in an assisted living facility which is Welling Place of Hixson. I'd like a little bit more private time. I recommend that instead of opening the door, I'd rather have them knock first and be invited in. The food here is not good. They should offer more activities, I'm getting so bored.

July 10, 2012

By Linda B1

Let's just say I was very nervous about letting my grandmother live by herself again after her health issues, but this place has made me feel great about the decision I made to let her live on her own. They are so friendly! I can't say that enough. They help her with whatever she needs and they contact me right away if need be, and it's very close to me, which makes me feel a lot better. The place is so nice and even I would enjoy living there. They seem to care about the people that live there because they try their hardest to make sure that the person is comfortable and happy. I was worried that she would get excited and move into this place then it would turn out terrible because I've heard stories about places and I didn't want that for her.. But they have proven that not all places are bad! I still wish she lived with me sometimes, but I'm happy because she's happy with her freedom and place to live!

May 29, 2012

By martin6172

My grandfather stayed here. It was a very nice facility with many amnities. The staff were very helpful and the place was very clean. They have an events corrdinator and on one visit they had girl scouts come in to sing Christmas carols to the residents. They have a facilities room that is very nice forthe residents to view tv or gather for events.

January 06, 2012

By dk77881

My Mother moved into Wellington Place about two months ago. I drove all the way from Savannah Georgia to visit her a few weeks after she moved in to see how she was doing and check the place out. When I first pulled in the parking lot I wasn't too impressed with the building as it seemed pretty old and out-dated. When I walked in I was immediately greeted by a friendly lady and directed towards my Mother's room. As I walked to the room I was acknowledged by almost every resident there and they were all so very polite. My mother's room was decently spacious, even though she took up a lot of that space with her large amount of furniture she wanted to hold on to. My mother talked about how nice the workers there are and how she had made so many friends. This made me so happy to hear as I was worried she wouldn't enjoy assisted living. She talked about how she loves getting her hair done from the hairdressers that work there and how she loves the food they offer. I could honestly tell she was appreciating the food due to the obvious amount of weight she had put on. She said she exercises a lot and goes on walks every day with her friend 'Susan'. Overall, I was very relieved to see how well-run the place was and how happy my Mother was. I would recommend Wellington Place to any others out there considering having one of their loved ones move into a assisted living facility.

December 11, 2011

By dk7788

Questions about Brookdale Hixson

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Hixson. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have an active group at Brookdale Hixson. The average age is in the mid-80s. Some of our residents have a diagnosis of dementia and some have no dementia at all. Our residents are very friendly and congenial and welcoming of newcomers. Our most popular activities include: chair exercise, intro to card games taught by one of the resident’s sons, and group trivia.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Hixson offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Spiritual: Sunday church service, Monday devotional, Thursday hymn sing a longs Social: birthday parties, ice cream parties, new residents welcome parties Physical: chair exercises (kick boxing, aerobics, yoga, stretch & flex) Intellectual: trivia, group crosswords, words in a word Emotional: Cocoa & Conversation, group discussions with topics Purposeful: making toys for animal shelters, random acts of kindness day Other: weekly shopping and scenic rides, bingo (2xs a week), free weekly manicures, musical entertainers,

What places are near Brookdale Hixson or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Nothing is within walking distance, but we have a mall 1 mile away with Belk and Burlington Coat Factory. Within the mall perimeter is Ross, TJ Maxx and Michaels. We also have several thrift stores that have senior discounts on particular days and our residents like going to those stores. We also have a large assortment of fast food and dine-in restaurants that our residents enjoy. Three miles from our community there is a Greenway/park with walking paths and great views of the mountains.

What transportation services does Brookdale Hixson offer to assisted living residents?

We offer free transportation on Tuesday to doctor’s appointments and errands. Our bus is in use on Wednesday for our weekly scenic rides.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Hixson exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our dining program is awesome for several reasons! Our dining services director pays close attention to each residents’ food preference sheet and does a great job catering to their preferences. We are located in the south, so in general, the menu consists of a meat and several vegetable sides. For example, we have meatloaf, baked chicken, pasta dishes, soups and sandwiches and fried fish. One of the most popular meals is taco salad and loaded baked potatoes. The other great thing about our dining program is that we offer one main entrée option and 3 alternative meals, if they don’t care for the main entree. If they don’t care for any of the 4 choices, we have an “always available” menu. Because of all the choices provided at each meal, residents can usually find something they like and we receive daily compliments from our residents and guests on the presentation and taste of the meals.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Hixson offer to assisted living residents?

Exterior doors are locked, Routine safety checks in the apartments (looking for things that are deemed unsafe per state guidelines), Residents must pass med test in order to self-medicate and must adhere to state regulations with medication storage, Emergency call system in rooms and emergency pendent for residents to wear, 24/7 staffing.

How does Brookdale Hixson keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Families are notified of any change of conditions. Families are also notified when routine assessments are completed. Executive Director makes regular “touch base” calls to families to check in.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Hixson during daytime and nighttime hours?

Staffing pattern is based on residents needs allowing us to meet state regulations regarding staffing.

If Brookdale Hixson accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do allow both cats and dogs. We have 2 enclosed courtyards that our pet owners can use.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Monthly online training provided by Brookdale, monthly staff meetings and ongoing training, as needed.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Hixson provide to protect residents who wander?

All of our doors use the egress door system. Our doors are locked 24/7 and if a resident presses on the door handle from inside the community to get out, or if a guest pulls on the door from outside the community to get in, the door alarm will sound. The door will release after 15 seconds but our team is trained to respond to door alarms immediately.

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Hixson

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Home Sale Assistance

• Staff Patient Ratio: 16 To 1
  • Minimum Age: None
  • Pets: All Pets Allowed

About Brookdale Hixson

Brookdale Hixson provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Two enclosed courtyards Pets allowed Secure community