5 Assisted Living Facilities near Newberg, OR
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Newberg area, with 3 in Newberg and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Newberg is $3,750 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 23 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newberg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Newberg 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Mcminnville with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newberg, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Newberg, OR
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newberg
The Northwest Oregon city of Newberg was first settled by Europeans in the 1840s and was given its name by a Bavarian postmaster in 1869. Over the 20 years that followed, the city's population grew to roughly 200 people. Today, there are nearly 24,000 residents, about 14% of whom are seniors.
Newberg seniors who are unable to live independently may reside in one of the city's four assisted living facilities or choose from the two in nearby Sherwood. These facilities, like all of those in Oregon, are governed by the Oregon Department of Human Services, Office of Licensing and Regulatory Oversight and may be categorized as assisted living residences or residential care homes, depending on the level of care they provide.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newberg
- Oregon does not have a sales tax and its property tax rate is on par with the national average. Social Security benefits are not taxed, and while pension income is taxed, seniors may claim a credit to offset the expense. Withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed. This may affect how much money Newberg seniors can put toward assisted living expenses.
- The Newberg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Providence Newberg Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Yamhill County Transit Area operates bus programs in the Newberg area, as well as a demand-responsive paratransit service for those unable to use the regular bus service.
- The overall cost of living in Newberg is nearly 30% higher than the national average and about 6% higher than the statewide average. However, healthcare expenses, which include doctor's office visits, hospital stays and dental checkups, are about 17% below the national average, which may offset other living expenses.
- Newberg has relatively mild year-round temperatures with summer highs around 80 degrees and winter lows in the mid-30s. The region only receives 3 inches of annual snowfall on average, which may appeal to seniors who do their own driving.
- Newberg's overall crime rate is considerably below the national average, which may provide peace of mind for seniors researching local assisted living facilities. On a 100-point index, the violent crime rate is 11.0, versus the national average of 22.7; and the property crime rate is 25.5, compared to the national average of 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newberg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Oregon
Assisted Living costs in Newberg start around $3,750 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newberg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newberg
Assisted living services in Newberg may be covered by the state's Medicaid program, called the K Plan.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newberg
Newberg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newberg, please visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newberg
Newberg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Oregon are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Newberg, OR
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Newberg
Review of Brookdale Newberg
Brookdale Newberg is a nice community and the people are nice as well. My father seems to like the food, although not all of it. They let me take him out to eat sometimes. They have an ice cream ba... Read more
Review of Brookdale Newberg
Brookdale Newberg seemed to be a very nice facility. The food looked very good. Read more
Review of Brookdale Newberg
My mom went to Brookdale Newberg. It was closer. It was fine in every way. My mom stayed there for 2 months. The residents were busy. She did not take part in much, but they had activities going on. Read more