Located roughly nine miles northwest of Columbus, Hilliard is one of the fastest-growing suburbs of the capital, with a population increase of 29.4% during the decade leading up to the 2019 census. The city has approximately 4,274 residents aged 65 and over, and this number is growing rapidly due to a strong economic base, relatively cheap health care, low crime rates and peaceful surroundings with plenty of green spaces.

There are approximately 720 assisted living facilities in Ohio, and those in Hilliard itself have an average cost of $4,500 per month. The statewide average is marginally cheaper, at $4,350 per month, according to the Genworth Financial 2020 Cost of Care Survey. This level of care is suitable for seniors who need more care than what’s available via in-home services. Staff are available 24/7, and residents receive meals and medication on site. Transportation to outside medical facilities is provided if needed, and seniors in assisted living take part in activities tailored to their physical abilities.

This guide gives seniors more information about assisted living, including how these communities are regulated and average costs, as well as Hilliard’s pros and cons. Useful local resources are also included.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Hilliard, OH

National Church Residences Mill Run

3550 Fishinger Boulevard, Hilliard, OH, 43026

We toured National Church Residences Mill Run, it was very nice. We liked it and if I think we’d need to take mom into one, we’d do this because it’s close to my brother. The people there were very ni … (read more)

Carriage Court of Hilliard

3570 Heritage Club Drive, Hilliard, OH, 43026

I got my friend moved into Carriage Court of Hilliard. I have been there every day just to check on her and make sure everything’s going well. It is wonderful. They have worked so hard with me. My fri … (read more)

Mill Run Rehabilitation Center, Skilled Nursing & Assisted Living

3399 Mill Run Drive, Hilliard, OH, 43026

My mother is at Mill Run Rehabilitation Center, Skilled Nursing & Assisted Living and she’s been happy there. When I called them first, I told them that I didn’t have a bed, nor a dresser, a couch … (read more)

Hilliard Assisted Living & Memory Care

4303 Trueman Blvd, Hilliard, OH, 43026

Horrible place! My grandparents have been residents there for over a year and have had multiple things stolen from their room…ok multiple occasions, and Including prescription medication. It is horr … (read more)

2014, 2016

Brookdale Trillium Crossing

3500 Trillium Crossing, Columbus, OH, 43235

Brookdale Trillium Crossing was small, so it’s not overwhelming for my grandmother. It’s nice and clean. They had different church services. Housekeeping is part of their package, which is good. They … (read more)

Brookdale Muirfield

7220 Muirfield Drive, Dublin, OH, 43017

Brookdale Muirfield is an assisted living facility located in Dublin, Ohio with easy access to parks, shopping, medical facilities and restaurants. Both residents and loved ones appreciate the customi … (read more)

Danbury in Columbus

2870 Snouffer Road, Columbus, OH, 43235

Located in Columbus, Ohio, Danbury in Columbus is close to Interstate 270, Perry Park and the Sun Center shopping mall. Residents and visitors agree that the facility serves delicious, chef-prepared f … (read more)

Sunrise of Dublin

4175 Stoneridge Lane, Dublin, OH, 43017

Sunrise of Dublin assisted care living is located in Dublin, Ohio, minutes from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, shopping centers and movie theaters. The community also offers short-term hospice and mem … (read more)

Bickford of Scioto

3500 Riverside Drive, Columbus, OH, 43221

Sunrise of the Scioto is older, so the wallpaper and the carpet are old, but the care is great. That’s what I care about, especially for my dad.

Dublin Assisted Living and Memory Support by Senior Star

6470 Post Rd., Dublin, OH, 43016

I toured Dublin Assisted Living Memory Care. I visited it six years ago for my mother, and I love it now. There’s nothing I don’t like about it. Aside from being beautiful, it has great outdoor spacin … (read more)

The Grand of Dublin

4500 John Shields Parkway, Dublin, OH, 43017

This place is a nightmare. My mom went there for rehab after she broke her hip. She could walk with assistance but then they over medicated her for agitation (after we told them not to give her med … (read more)

First Community Village

1800 Riverside Drive, Columbus, OH, 43212

2013

The Forum at Knightsbridge

4590 Knightsbridge Boulevard, Columbus, OH, 43214

My mother-in-law was there after a trip to the hospital for rehabilitation. Never have I nor my family been treated with more disrespect in our lives. My family member received a phone call one mornin … (read more)

Wesley Glen Retirement Community

5155 North High Street, Columbus, OH, 43214

We found Wesley Glen for my father. The hospital’s social worker recommended it to us. The staff is very friendly and very caring. They communicated with us very well. The rooms are very warm and cozy … (read more)

Pete’s Place

243 Sinsbury Drive N, Worthington, OH, 43085

Pete’s Place was nice. They’re allowed to have four patients at a time, so she lives with three others. Her room is a lot larger than I thought it would be. They have four pretty-good-sized bedrooms a … (read more)

National Church Residences Lincoln Village

4959 Medfield Way, Columbus, OH, 43228

National Church Residences Lincoln Village has a place available, and we will be moving my sister next week. She chose it because its location is closer to her doctor and her church. She also knew a c … (read more)

Whetstone Rehabilitation Center, Skilled Nursing & Assisted Living

3700 Olentangy River Road, Columbus, OH, 43214

Whetstone Rehabilitation Center is located directly across from the Riverside Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, offering a convenient choice for patients looking for short-term rehabilitation, and it is rea … (read more)

Mayfair Village Retirement

3011 Hayden Road, Columbus, OH, 43235

I chose Mayfair Village Retirement for Rose. The staff is very cordial and very pleasant. The residents I met were good. The food, the layout, and the activities were good. It’s apartment-style, one … (read more)

Friendship Village of Dublin

6000 riverside drive, Dublin, OH, 43017

Friendship Village of Dublin is nestled along the riverside of Dublin, Ohio, just west of Brookside Golf & Country Club. Visitors are pleased by the spacious dining room that doubles as a venue fo … (read more)

Sanctuary at Tuttle Crossing

4880 Tuttle Road, Dublin, OH, 43017

Sanctuary at Tuttle Crossing is located in the quaint city of Dublin, Ohio, and provides assisted living options for seniors. This facility is praised by residents and their loved ones for its cleanli … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hilliard

Assisted living communities in Hilliard and the state are often referred to as residential care facilities (RCF). The Ohio Department of Health licenses assisted living facilities, and each is inspected at least once every 15 months. These facilities may provide skilled nursing if authorized.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hilliard

• Hilliard has a relatively strong economy, which benefits seniors in assisted living and those in the community. The household income of its residents is 64.9% higher than the U.S. average, helping to attract service providers and boost infrastructure growth. A slightly higher percentage of people work in health care and social assistance—14.2% of Hilliard’s workers compared to 13.8% nationwide. In particular, there are 275 physicians per 100,000 residents, which is significantly higher than the national average of 210.
  • Crime is much less of a problem in Hilliard when compared to the Columbus metro area, Ohio itself and the U.S. overall. The violent crime rate is 10.1 out of 100 in Hilliard, and its property crime rate is 23.8—the U.S. averages are 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. No cities in Ohio of a similar size have a lower property crime rate than Hilliard.
  • Franklin County, which includes the city of Hilliard, became a member of the AARP Age-Friendly Network in 2018. Joining this network signifies the willingness of local governments and other institutions to create an action plan and work toward making the area a better place for seniors to live.
  • Hilliard has fairly average air and water quality. In a BestPlaces.net analysis of the EPA’s National Air Toxics Assessment, a measure of pollutants in the air and consequent health risks, the city ranks just one point above the U.S. average, at 59 out of 100. An assessment of Hilliard’s watershed quality, again using EPA data, ranks Hilliard six points below the national average, at 49 out of 100.
  • The city’s overall cost of living is relatively high compared to the state average—an increase of 19%. However, the cost of health care in Hilliard is lower than Ohio’s average by 0.8% and the U.S. by 13.4%.

Paying for Assisted Living in Hilliard

Hilliard’s assisted living facilities have an average cost of $4,500 per month, according to the Genworth Financial 2020 Cost of Care Survey. Ohio as a whole is slightly more affordable, at $4,350, and the nationwide average is lower still, at $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Despite having a higher average cost compared to the state and country overall, Hilliard’s average cost of $4,500 per month for assisted living is lower than some other cities in and around Ohio’s large population centers. Cincinnati’s assisted living communities are more expensive by $250 per month, and the cost in Dayton is higher by $745. Nearby in Springfield, however, the cost is significantly lower, at $3,608 per month.

$4500

Dayton

$4750

Cincinnati

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors who receive in-home services in Hilliard, including homemaker and home health care, pay an average of $76 more each month compared to those in assisted living. Adult day health care is roughly one-third as expensive, at $1,625 per month. Nursing care costs quite a lot more than all alternatives, with averages of $6,996 and $8,213 per month depending on the type of room.

$4576

Adult Day Health Care

$4500

Assisted Living Facility

$6996

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$8213

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Hilliard was not available, so data for the closest city, Columbus, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hilliard

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Ohio

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Hilliard

Assistance and answers to aging-related issues are available from professional staff who know all about Hilliard and the programs available to its senior population.

Resource

Contact

Service

The COAAA is a great place to start for seniors, family members and caregivers who have questions or need a referral to local services and programs in and around Hilliard and Franklin County. Many of the agency's programs are free or low-cost for seniors aged 60 and over. Housing options, such as assisted living or nursing homes as well as financial aid and medical/prescription assistance, can be discussed.

Free advice and help with the application process for state and federal benefits are provided by knowledgeable fellow veterans at Memorial Hall in Columbus. Assistance via phone and email, including a 24/7 crisis line, is also available, with contacts listed on the website. Pensions and other financial benefits that may be available from the VA can help seniors pay for assisted living care.

The state LTC ombudsmen are experts who can take questions related to all residential aged care facilities and help seniors understand the process, such as admission requirements and residents' rights. Ombudsmen also act as advocates and problem solvers who settle disputes on behalf of residents and family members and the facilities they're living in.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hilliard

Hilliard-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ohio