42 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbus, OH
Also serving communities of Bexley.
There are 42 Assisted Living Facilities in the Columbus area, with 27 in Columbus and 15 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Columbus is $3,523 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346. Cheaper nearby regions include Worthington with an average starting cost of $3,438.
To help you with your search, browse the 296 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbus. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbus 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Grove City with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 13 families in Columbus find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbus, call (855) 863-8283.
27 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbus, OH
15 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbus, OH
Promotion ends in 1 day!
Silent Auction 6-8pm on 4/24. All you can eat spaghetti dinner for $5 & bidding is all day and ... (more)
Other Options in Columbus, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbus
Review of New Albany Rehabilitation Center, Skilled Nursing & Assisted Living
I was very disappointed in this place. I would Never recommend it to Anyone. It is not very clean and the staff , basically the aides , are overworked and don't answer call buttons promptly. I wait... Read more
Review of Brookdale Chestnut Hill
Brookdale was nice, and the rooms were an appropriate size. They were large enough to fit a bed, a love seat, and a TV stand. They were in the dining hall, watching a movie, and some people were pl... Read more
Review of The Ashford on Broad
My mother stayed at The Ashford on Broad for four months. I wasn't happy with them. It was understaffed. Sometimes needs weren't met in the way they should have been met. It was a clean place, but ... Read more
Assisted Living near Franklin County, OH
More Options Near Columbus, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbus
Columbus, located along the Scioto River in Ohio, hosts the largest single breed horse show in the world every year in October, an event that's looked forward to by the 787,033 residents who call the city home. Of those residents, more than 67,000 are seniors, some of whom may need assistance with daily living activities. There are 27 assisted living facilities in Columbus to support and assist those seniors.
In Ohio, including Columbus, assisted living facilities are called Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) and are governed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbus
- The Columbus area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Riverside Methodist Hospital and The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) operates the city's public bus system. Seniors who are 65 years or older can apply for a Reduced Fare Senior ID card.
- Columbus is a member of AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Ohio, including Columbus, does not tax seniors on social security benefits, however, pensions are partially taxed and retirement savings account withdrawals are fully taxed. Seniors on fixed incomes might want to keep these tax laws in mind when relocating to Columbus.
- The cost of living in Columbus is 90.4, almost 10 points less than the national average of 100. Healthcare is also lower than the average at 89. Area seniors may find that the lower cost of living results in more money to put toward their facility expenses.
- Columbus residents enjoy all four seasons with summer highs of 85 degrees and winter lows dipping down to 20. The city also gets 40 inches of rain and 22 inches of snow each year. Seniors who enjoy watching the seasons change might like living in Columbus.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbus
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Columbus start around $3,523 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus
Seniors living in Columbus may qualify for one or both of the state's financial assistance programs, which help seniors pay for the cost of residing in an assisted living facility. The two available programs — the Nursing Facility Level of Care Waiver, which is part of the state's Medicaid program, and supplemental SSI payments — are officially run by the state of Ohio. Columbus residents can apply through the Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services Office.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbus
Columbus and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbus, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus
Columbus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.