State capital Columbus is Ohio’s largest and the country’s 14th most populous city with approximately 900,000 residents, and about 10% are aged 65 and older. This growing senior population enjoys the city’s affordability, quality health care systems, dynamic arts and culture and free senior programs, including Metro Parks’ nature activities which welcome assisted living residents. Lifelong learning opportunities are widely available to 60+ seniors through tuition-free classes at Ohio State University.

Older Columbusites who wish to age in place while receiving professional care may opt for assisted living which provides round-the-clock caregiver support in a homelike setting. This senior living arrangement benefits aging adults who do not require 24-hour skilled care but may need help with mobility, personal hygiene and doctor’s appointments. The estimated cost of assisted living in Columbus is $4,500 per month, higher by about 3% than the Ohio median of $4,350 but fairly average for a big city.

This guide presents an overview of assisted living in Columbus, including the city’s pros and cons when it comes to retirement, as well as senior care cost comparisons and free local resources on long-term care.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Columbus, OH

2014, 2016

Brookdale Trillium Crossing

3500 Trillium Crossing, Columbus, OH, 43235

Brookdale Trillium Crossing was small, so it’s not overwhelming for my grandmother. It’s nice and clean. They had different church services. Housekeeping is part of their package, which is good. They … (read more)

The Woodlands of Columbus

5380 East Broad Street, Columbus, OH, 43213

The staff of The Woodlands of Columbus was a very friendly place. It was very clean and offered good services. The apartments were very nicely planned. When a new person moves in, they made sure that … (read more)

Westerwood

5675 Ponderosa Blvd., Columbus, OH, 43231

Westerwood is located in Columbus, Ohio, near the Northern Woods area, the Columbus Square Shopping Center and Ohio State University Hospital. This community receives high marks from residents and the … (read more)

Kensington Place Retirement Community

1001 Parkview Blvd., Columbus, OH, 43219

My mom moved into Kensington Place Retirement Community. It’s beautiful. The upkeep seems to be top notch and the layout is great. The apartments are very spacious, so there’s plenty of room for my mo … (read more)

Danbury in Columbus

2870 Snouffer Road, Columbus, OH, 43235

Located in Columbus, Ohio, Danbury in Columbus is close to Interstate 270, Perry Park and the Sun Center shopping mall. Residents and visitors agree that the facility serves delicious, chef-prepared f … (read more)

Brookdale Westerville

6377 Cooper Road, Columbus, OH, 43231

Brookdale Westerville was awesome, but the size of the rooms were small. Otherwise, we would have gone with them. The people there were amazing, it just came down to the room size. It was such a small … (read more)

Bickford of Scioto

3500 Riverside Drive, Columbus, OH, 43221

Sunrise of the Scioto is older, so the wallpaper and the carpet are old, but the care is great. That’s what I care about, especially for my dad.

Chestnut Hill Senior Living

5055 Thompson Road, Columbus, OH, 43230

Chestnut Hill was an older community. We had to visit it from the outside. It was a little bit drabber, it wasn’t really cheerful, like paint-wise, and colors, and so on. The rooms weren’t very spacio … (read more)

Esther’s Place

5550 Sinclair Rd, Columbus, OH, 43229

For 10 of our last 12 years, I was my wife’s sole caregiver. Over the years my responsibilities as a husband and caregiver grew steadily until I was on-duty 168 hours a week. Our three children offer … (read more)

The Bristol

7780 Olentangy River Rd., Columbus, OH, 43235

I toured The Bristol, and I loved it. The room is beautiful, very spacious, and very nice. They have a restaurant-type dining area.

Cherry Blossom Senior Living

79 Blossom Field Blvd, Columbus, OH, 43213

We visited Cherry Blossom and I wish now we would have taken that step with them instead of the one we took with my sister’s current facility, because Cherry Blossom is a one-story building. We could … (read more)

Creekside at the Village

2200 Welcome Place, Columbus, OH, 43209

Creekside at the Village appeared to be comfortable and nice, and it’s very appropriate for seniors. They had spacious one-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom units, and some come with a fireplace. … (read more)

Gardens of Scioto

433 Obetz Road Suite 200, Columbus, OH, 43207

Gardens of Scioto is a large, upscale facility located on the south side of Columbus, Ohio, about a mile from I-270 and 2 miles from the nearest major hospital. Family of residents often comment on th … (read more)

The Oakwood Senior Living

1169 Bryden Rd., Columbus, OH, 43205

The rooms at Oakwood Senior Living were nicely laid out but the ones that were available had shared bathrooms, so we ended up not choosing it. My aunt doesn’t do well sharing her bathroom. It was a lo … (read more)

First Community Village

1800 Riverside Drive, Columbus, OH, 43212

Alpine House Of Columbus

1001 Schrock Rd, Columbus, OH, 43229

2013

The Forum at Knightsbridge

4590 Knightsbridge Boulevard, Columbus, OH, 43214

My mother-in-law was there after a trip to the hospital for rehabilitation. Never have I nor my family been treated with more disrespect in our lives. My family member received a phone call one mornin … (read more)

Wesley Glen Retirement Community

5155 North High Street, Columbus, OH, 43214

We found Wesley Glen for my father. The hospital’s social worker recommended it to us. The staff is very friendly and very caring. They communicated with us very well. The rooms are very warm and cozy … (read more)

Oakleaf Village of Columbus

5500 Karl Road, Columbus, OH, 43229

My mother is liking Oakleaf Village of Columbus. I had a virtual tour because of COVID. It’s very close to excellent. They have transportation to doctors’ appointments and they have a lot of tenured s … (read more)

Willow Brook Christian Home

55 Lazelle Road, Columbus, OH, 43235

A wonderful find in the Worthington/Powell area. I toured this facility and found it to be a very clean and comfortable place for an aging relative. The staff were very kind and I spoke to several r … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbus

Assisted living residences in Columbus are called residential care facilities. They are licensed and regulated by the Ohio Department of Health, Bureau of Regulatory Operations, in accordance with RCF administrative rules. ODH regularly performs inspections and surveys on these RCFs at least once every 9 to 15-month cycle for periodic comprehensive evaluations and investigation of complaints.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbus

• Age-Friendly Columbus is Ohio’s second city to join the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities and is leading the initiatives in improving the quality of life of seniors as Central Ohio’s 65+ population is expected to double by 2050.
  • Columbus has an abundance of health care facilities, including high-performing hospitals under the Ohio State University, OhioHealth and Mount Carmel health systems. The OSU Wexner Medical Center is the city’s top hospital and is nationally ranked in nine specialties, including its comprehensive care programs under the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute.
  • The overall cost of living in Columbus is 14.5% below the national average, largely driven by affordable property prices and below-average health care costs. Together, with moderately senior-friendly Ohio tax rates with an exemption on Social Security income, the city’s general affordability can help older Columbusites augment their budget for long-term care.
  • As a culturally and economically diverse college town, Ohio’s capital keeps seniors entertained year-round with visual and performing arts, numerous festivals and professional and collegiate sports. The Columbus Museum of Art and Wexner Center for the Arts offer free public admissions on Sundays, senior discounts on regular days and free admission to veterans and their families. There’s also no shortage of live theatre venues for Broadway shows, concerts, comedy and dance performances.
  • The Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) runs metro-wide fixed-route bus services free for adults with ADA cards and at half-price fares for seniors 65+, veterans and Medicare cardholders. The city’s average daily commute time of 21.6 minutes is nearly 5 minutes below the U.S. average.
  • Compared to most Midwestern cities, Columbus has moderate four seasons with snowfall below the national average, as well as warm summers and average rainfall. Outdoor-loving seniors can enjoy accessible paved riverfront trails at the 175-acre Scioto Mile, located downtown and open all year round.

Paying for Assisted Living in Columbus

The average cost of assisted living in Columbus is $4,500 per month, based on Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey for 2020. Ohio’s average is lower at $4,350, as well as the national average of $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Compared to Ohio’s least and most expensive areas for assisted living, Columbus is on the average side at $4,500, along with Lima at $4,594. Dayton is the Buckeye State’s most expensive city at $5,245, about $750 higher than the state capital. Seniors can save approximately $900 per month when opting for Mansfield, which costs $3,570, or nearby Springfield near Dayton but is affordable at $3,608.

$4500

Dayton Area

$4594

Lima

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Most other long-term care options in Columbus cost more than assisted living. Both homemaker and home health aide services cost $4,576 per month, only slightly higher than assisted living which covers board and care. For those who can remain at home and receive personal care in a non-residential setting, adult day health care may be a cost-effective option at $1,625. Nursing home care is especially pricey at $8,213 for a private room and $6,996 for semiprivate accommodations due to specialized services provided round-the-clock.

$4576

Assisted Living Facility

$6996

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room):

$8213

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus

If you need help paying for the costs of assisted living in Columbus, you can apply for one of Ohio’s two financial assistance programs. The Nursing Facility Level of Care Waiver also helps pay for the costs of assisted living. It’s part of the state’s Medicaid program. Also, the state offers supplemental SSI payments for those who qualify for SSI payments from the Social Security Administration. You can apply for both of these through the Lucas County Department of Job and Family Services Office.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbus

As Ohio’s capital and largest city, Columbus has plenty of resources that seniors can access to meet their long-term care needs. The county seat of Franklin County is a convenient access point for government benefits, community-based services and various outreach programs.

ResourceContactService
Franklin County Office on Aging(614) 525-5230The Franklin County Office on Aging coordinates various home and community-based services through its Senior Options program. This program assists Columbus seniors 60 and older through providing information and referrals, case management, adult day care services, in-home services and caregiver support. This agency is also the local contact for Adult Protective Services and the Property Tax Assistance Program.
Central Ohio Agency on Aging(614) 645-7250COAAA administers a range of Title III (Older Americans Act) services and state programs that support seniors 60 and older. Managed programs for Medicaid-eligible seniors include PASSPORT (Pre-Admission Screening System Providing Options and Resources Today), the Assisted Living Waiver program and MyCare Ohio managed care plans. COAAA is responsible for determining the functional eligibility of Medicaid waiver applicants who must require a nursing home level of care. Other available services include free Medicare Outreach programs, Congregate Housing Services and the Volunteer Guardian Program.
Franklin County Veterans Service Commission(614) 525-2500Franklin County’s Veterans Service Commission helps eligible vets and dependents obtain VA benefits such as disability compensation, pensions, Aid and Attendance, health care services and survivor benefits. The agency’s accredited Veterans Service Officers can also assist with appealing VA decisions. Low-income veterans and spouses who are Franklin County residents may also qualify for emergency financial assistance and free optometry and preventive dental services.
Senior 50+ Community Centers(614) 645-3300The Columbus Recreation and Parks Department offers free Senior 50+ membership to residents aged 50 and older. Members gain access to the city’s two senior centers and five multigenerational community centers for various leisure activities, health and wellness programs, support groups and other aging-related services.
Catholic Social Services – Senior Support(614) 221-5891CSS Senior Support includes payee services, money management and other supportive services to help seniors live with dignity. The organization’s licensed social workers can assist with navigating benefits and locating services such as housing and long-term care. CSS also administers the Senior Companion and Foster Grandparent programs, which offer paid volunteer opportunities to low-income adults aged 55 and up.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus

Columbus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus