6 Assisted Living Facilities near Port Jervis, NY
Also serving communities of Narrowsburg, Swan Lake, Liberty, Jeffersonville.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Port Jervis area, with 2 in Port Jervis and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Port Jervis is $3,400 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Middletown with an average starting cost of $3,016.
To help you with your search, browse the 73 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Jervis. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Port Jervis 4.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Midland Park with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Jervis, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Port Jervis, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Jervis
Port Jervis is known as the “River City” due to its location on the shore of the Delaware River. In this historic city, an estimated 75% of buildings date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. Today, nearly 8,560 people reside in Port Jervis.
Over 16% of the city’s residents are 65 years of age or older, and if any of them need help with daily activities, they have many assisted living facilities to choose from. There are two of these facilities within city limits, and another four nearby. The New York Department of Health regulates these facilities as well as others throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Jervis
- With highs in the low 80s, summers in Port Jervis are comfortable. Seniors can go for walks, play golf, or just sit outside and enjoy the weather. The city’s winter weather is ideal for snowshoeing and other winter pursuits: an average of 40 inches of snow falls per year, and winter lows are in the teens.
- Compared to the national average, Port Jervis’ cost of living is 5.4% higher. However, the city is 18.5% more affordable than the New York State average, so seniors from other parts of the state may save money by retiring here. Housing costs, at 58.3% lower than the state average, are especially affordable.
- The Port Jervis area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bon Secours Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- According to one benchmark of air pollution, ozone, the New York-Newark metropolitan area is the 10th most polluted city in the country. Seniors with respiratory conditions may choose to monitor daily pollution forecasts and stay indoors on high-ozone days.
- This small city has a relatively high crime rate. Its overall crime rate is higher than 94% of communities in the state. Seniors may prefer assisted living facilities with 24-hour security and other security features.
- There are many public transit options in the Port Jervis area. A commuter rail service connects Port Jervis to Hoboken, and commuter buses will take seniors all the way to New York City. For local trips, seniors can book curb-to-curb rides on the Dial-A-Bus service.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Jervis
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Port Jervis start around $3,400 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Jervis and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Jervis
The state’s Assisted Living Program may help Port Jervis’ seniors pay for assisted living costs. In addition to personal care services, the program provides room and board. SSI recipients may receive additional benefits from the New York State Supplement Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Jervis
Port Jervis and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Jervis, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Jervis
Port Jervis-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Port Jervis
Review of The Carlucci Home - Assisted Living for Ladies
I went to The Carlucci Home - Assisted Living for Ladies. It was a really wonderful tour. The nurses on-staff and the woman who runs the organization were incredibly friendly and informative. I fel... Read more
Review of The Carlucci Home - Assisted Living for Ladies
We have found a place for my mom, and it's The Carlucci Home. The staff was very attentive and caring. The residents looked very well cared for and very happy. It was very home-like. The rooms were... Read more
Review of The Sentinel of Port Jervis
The Director of this facility went above and beyond in assisting with getting my sister as a resident. She was available even on a Sunday when I sent her an email expecting to hear back from her o... Read more