3 Assisted Living Facilities near Medina, NY
Also serving communities of Albion.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Medina area, with 2 in Medina and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Medina. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Medina 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Clarence Center with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Medina, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Medina, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Medina
The village of Medina is located in Orleans County, New York, and has about 5,700 residents, roughly one in five of whom are age 65 and over. These seniors are served by the Orleans County Office for the Aging, an organization that provides nutrition programs, advocacy and case management services, as well as one senior center.
Seniors who need assistance with daily living activities may reside in an assisted living facility, which may also be referred to as adult care facilities. There are three of these facilities in the Medina region, including two in the city proper and one more in nearby Albion. These facilities are licensed by New York's Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Medina
- The rate of property crime in Medina is roughly on par with the national average, but the village's violent crime rate is about 10 points below the nationwide median, which may provide peace of mind for seniors seeking assisted living services here.
Medina's weather is typical of that of the rest of New York, with four distinct seasons including warm summers and cold winters. Over the course of the year, temperatures range from 19 to 82 degrees, and the village gets about 66 inches of annual snowfall. This may be a concern for seniors who do their own driving.
- The air quality in Medina is rated 80 out of 100, compared to the national average of 58, which indicates relatively clean air. Seniors with conditions like cardiovascular disease or respiratory illnesses can breathe easy in this village.
- The Medina area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Medina Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The source of a senior's retirement income affects whether it is taxed at the state level, which may affect their assisted living budget. Public pension income and Social Security benefits are not taxed here, and while withdrawals from retirement accounts and money from private pensions are taxed, seniors may claim a large deduction on it.
- Medina's low cost of living makes it a good option for retirees who have limited resources. Living expenses here are about 20% below the national average and 50% below New York's average, which may result in more affordable care services.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Medina
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Medina start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Medina and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Medina
Income-eligible seniors in Medina may have assisted living services covered by the Medicaid State Plan, the Long-Term Home Health Program 1915(c) waiver program or the optional state supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Medina
Medina and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Medina, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Medina
Medina-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Medina
Review of Applegate Manor
My mom is at Applegate Manor right now. She likes the place. She was put there and didn’t want to move. It’s very nice. The only issue I have with it is the main rooms up on the second floor don’t ... Read more